Cost Of Living in Tunisia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Tunisia

Whether you're living in Tunisia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,100 TND
average per month
790 TND
Range
6,700 TND

Couple
5,900 TND
average per month
1,200 TND
Range
9,400 TND

Family
9,400 TND
average per month
2,700 TND
Range
14,000 TND

Student
2,400 TND
average per month
390 TND
Range
5,100 TND
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Tunisia is 3,100 TND. Expenses can range from 790 TND at the minimum level to 6,700 TND at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Tunisia is 5,900 TND. Expenditure can range from 1,200 TND to 9,400 TND per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Tunisia is 9,400 TND per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,700 TND to 14,000 TND.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Tunisia is 2,400 TND. Students spend from 390 TND to 5,100 TND per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Tunisia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.79 TND

0.79 TND
0.79 TND

Fast food
combo meal

7.9 TND

5.6 TND
13 TND

Restaurant
meal for one

26 TND

21 TND
33 TND

Fine dining
meal for one

65 TND

44 TND
79 TND

Soda
Soft Drink

0.65 TND

0.65 TND
0.65 TND

Cappuccino
or latte

5.2 TND

3.3 TND
7.9 TND

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.9 TND

3.3 TND
4.4 TND

Loaf of
bread

0.56 TND

0.49 TND
0.65 TND

12
eggs

3.9 TND

3.3 TND
4.9 TND

Fresh whole
chicken

9.1 TND

7.1 TND
11 TND

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

10 TND

8.7 TND
13 TND

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

5.6 TND

4.9 TND
6.5 TND

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.6 TND

2.2 TND
3.3 TND

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.8 TND

2.5 TND
3.0 TND

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.7 TND

2.4 TND
3.0 TND

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.9 TND

3.3 TND
7.9 TND

Average car
full tank

26 TND

20 TND
52 TND

Average car
1-day rental

26 TND

20 TND
39 TND

Average car
price

20,000 TND

9,800 TND
26,000 TND

Bus ticket
one way

0.98 TND

0.65 TND
2.0 TND

Car
Service

39 TND

26 TND
79 TND

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

190 TND

47 TND
400 TND

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

240 TND

59 TND
470 TND

Electricity
and water bill
Family

380 TND

82 TND
420 TND

Internet
and cable

39 TND

20 TND
52 TND

Mobile phone
charges

26 TND

16 TND
79 TND

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

13 TND

9.8 TND
20 TND

One month gym
membership

39 TND

31 TND
79 TND

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

33 TND

23 TND
49 TND

Woman
dress

30 TND

22 TND
98 TND

Woman
shoes

28 TND

21 TND
65 TND

Men
shoes

22 TND

18 TND
44 TND

Men
suit

25 TND

20 TND
130 TND

Regular
t-shirt

13 TND

9.8 TND
39 TND

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

490 TND

330 TND
1,300 TND

1-bedroom
apartment

790 TND

490 TND
2,000 TND

2-bedroom
apartment

980 TND

650 TND
2,600 TND

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

98,000 TND

65,000 TND
200,000 TND

1-bedroom
apartment

130,000 TND

79,000 TND
490,000 TND

2-bedroom
apartment

390,000 TND

130,000 TND
790,000 TND

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

490 TND

390 TND
650 TND

Double
Bed

390 TND

260 TND
490 TND

Single
Bed

300 TND

230 TND
390 TND

Living
Room

560 TND

440 TND
2,000 TND

Dining
Table

260 TND

200 TND
490 TND

Sofa
or Couch

360 TND

260 TND
790 TND

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

390 TND

260 TND
790 TND

Fridge
or Freezer

360 TND

230 TND
490 TND

Washing
Machine

440 TND

300 TND
790 TND

Stove
or Cooker

360 TND

280 TND
490 TND

Mobile
Phone

390 TND

330 TND
560 TND

Laptop
or Computer

440 TND

360 TND
790 TND

How do people spend their money in Tunisia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Tunisia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW280 TND
AVERAGE1,100 TND
HIGH2,400 TND
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW47 TND
AVERAGE190 TND
HIGH400 TND
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW63 TND
AVERAGE250 TND
HIGH530 TND
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW130 TND
AVERAGE500 TND
HIGH1,100 TND
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW71 TND
AVERAGE280 TND
HIGH600 TND
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW39 TND
AVERAGE160 TND
HIGH330 TND
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW16 TND
AVERAGE63 TND
HIGH130 TND
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW140 TND
AVERAGE570 TND
HIGH1,200 TND
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Tunisia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW390 TND
AVERAGE1,900 TND
HIGH3,100 TND
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW59 TND
AVERAGE240 TND
HIGH470 TND
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW140 TND
AVERAGE710 TND
HIGH1,100 TND
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW160 TND
AVERAGE820 TND
HIGH1,300 TND
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW130 TND
AVERAGE650 TND
HIGH1,000 TND
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW71 TND
AVERAGE350 TND
HIGH570 TND
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW24 TND
AVERAGE120 TND
HIGH190 TND
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW200 TND
AVERAGE1,000 TND
HIGH1,600 TND
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Tunisia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW880 TND
AVERAGE3,000 TND
HIGH4,500 TND
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW82 TND
AVERAGE380 TND
HIGH420 TND
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW220 TND
AVERAGE750 TND
HIGH1,100 TND
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW490 TND
AVERAGE1,700 TND
HIGH2,500 TND
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW220 TND
AVERAGE750 TND
HIGH1,100 TND
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW140 TND
AVERAGE470 TND
HIGH710 TND
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW380 TND
AVERAGE1,300 TND
HIGH2,000 TND
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW330 TND
AVERAGE1,100 TND
HIGH1,700 TND
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Tunisia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW94 TND
AVERAGE570 TND
HIGH1,200 TND
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW16 TND
AVERAGE94 TND
HIGH200 TND
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW27 TND
AVERAGE160 TND
HIGH360 TND
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW79 TND
AVERAGE470 TND
HIGH1,000 TND
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW24 TND
AVERAGE140 TND
HIGH310 TND
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW20 TND
AVERAGE120 TND
HIGH260 TND
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW75 TND
AVERAGE450 TND
HIGH970 TND
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW59 TND
AVERAGE350 TND
HIGH770 TND
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Tunisia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,700 TND with expenditure ranging from 410 TND and 2,800 TND. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Tunisia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 220 TND with 51 TND and 370 TND being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 110 TND to 790 TND on commuting with 470 TND being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Tunisia is 870 TND. The cost of groceries can range between 220 TND to 1,500 TND. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Tunisia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 110 TND to 770 TND with 460 TND being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 67 TND to 470 TND with 270 TND being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 490 TND per month with 120 TND being the minimum spent amount and 820 TND being the maximum.

©copound