Cost Of Living in Turkmenistan

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Turkmenistan

Whether you're living in Turkmenistan or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
4,200 TMT
average per month
1,000 TMT
Range
8,900 TMT

Couple
7,900 TMT
average per month
1,600 TMT
Range
13,000 TMT

Family
13,000 TMT
average per month
3,700 TMT
Range
19,000 TMT

Student
3,100 TMT
average per month
520 TMT
Range
6,800 TMT
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Turkmenistan is 4,200 TMT. Expenses can range from 1,000 TMT at the minimum level to 8,900 TMT at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Turkmenistan is 7,900 TMT. Expenditure can range from 1,600 TMT to 13,000 TMT per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Turkmenistan is 13,000 TMT per month. Families spend anywhere from 3,700 TMT to 19,000 TMT.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Turkmenistan is 3,100 TMT. Students spend from 520 TMT to 6,800 TMT per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Turkmenistan

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.1 TMT

1.1 TMT
1.1 TMT

Fast food
combo meal

10 TMT

7.5 TMT
17 TMT

Restaurant
meal for one

35 TMT

28 TMT
44 TMT

Fine dining
meal for one

87 TMT

58 TMT
100 TMT

Soda
Soft Drink

0.87 TMT

0.87 TMT
0.87 TMT

Cappuccino
or latte

7.0 TMT

4.4 TMT
10 TMT

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

5.3 TMT

4.4 TMT
5.8 TMT

Loaf of
bread

0.75 TMT

0.66 TMT
0.87 TMT

12
eggs

5.3 TMT

4.4 TMT
6.6 TMT

Fresh whole
chicken

12 TMT

9.5 TMT
15 TMT

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

14 TMT

12 TMT
17 TMT

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

7.5 TMT

6.6 TMT
8.7 TMT

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

3.5 TMT

2.9 TMT
4.4 TMT

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

3.8 TMT

3.3 TMT
4.0 TMT

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

3.6 TMT

3.2 TMT
4.0 TMT

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

5.3 TMT

4.4 TMT
10 TMT

Average car
full tank

35 TMT

26 TMT
70 TMT

Average car
1-day rental

35 TMT

26 TMT
52 TMT

Average car
price

26,000 TMT

13,000 TMT
35,000 TMT

Bus ticket
one way

1.3 TMT

0.87 TMT
2.6 TMT

Car
Service

52 TMT

35 TMT
100 TMT

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

250 TMT

63 TMT
530 TMT

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

310 TMT

79 TMT
630 TMT

Electricity
and water bill
Family

500 TMT

110 TMT
570 TMT

Internet
and cable

52 TMT

26 TMT
70 TMT

Mobile phone
charges

35 TMT

21 TMT
100 TMT

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

17 TMT

13 TMT
26 TMT

One month gym
membership

52 TMT

42 TMT
100 TMT

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

44 TMT

31 TMT
66 TMT

Woman
dress

40 TMT

29 TMT
130 TMT

Woman
shoes

37 TMT

28 TMT
87 TMT

Men
shoes

29 TMT

24 TMT
58 TMT

Men
suit

33 TMT

26 TMT
170 TMT

Regular
t-shirt

17 TMT

13 TMT
52 TMT

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

660 TMT

440 TMT
1,700 TMT

1-bedroom
apartment

1,000 TMT

660 TMT
2,600 TMT

2-bedroom
apartment

1,300 TMT

870 TMT
3,500 TMT

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

130,000 TMT

87,000 TMT
260,000 TMT

1-bedroom
apartment

170,000 TMT

100,000 TMT
660,000 TMT

2-bedroom
apartment

520,000 TMT

170,000 TMT
1,000,000 TMT

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

660 TMT

520 TMT
870 TMT

Double
Bed

520 TMT

350 TMT
660 TMT

Single
Bed

400 TMT

310 TMT
520 TMT

Living
Room

750 TMT

580 TMT
2,600 TMT

Dining
Table

350 TMT

260 TMT
660 TMT

Sofa
or Couch

480 TMT

350 TMT
1,000 TMT

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

520 TMT

350 TMT
1,000 TMT

Fridge
or Freezer

480 TMT

310 TMT
660 TMT

Washing
Machine

580 TMT

400 TMT
1,000 TMT

Stove
or Cooker

480 TMT

370 TMT
660 TMT

Mobile
Phone

520 TMT

440 TMT
750 TMT

Laptop
or Computer

580 TMT

480 TMT
1,000 TMT

How do people spend their money in Turkmenistan?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Turkmenistan

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW380 TMT
AVERAGE1,500 TMT
HIGH3,200 TMT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW63 TMT
AVERAGE250 TMT
HIGH530 TMT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW84 TMT
AVERAGE340 TMT
HIGH710 TMT
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW170 TMT
AVERAGE670 TMT
HIGH1,400 TMT
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW94 TMT
AVERAGE380 TMT
HIGH800 TMT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW52 TMT
AVERAGE210 TMT
HIGH450 TMT
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW21 TMT
AVERAGE84 TMT
HIGH180 TMT
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW190 TMT
AVERAGE760 TMT
HIGH1,600 TMT
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Turkmenistan

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW520 TMT
AVERAGE2,600 TMT
HIGH4,200 TMT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW79 TMT
AVERAGE310 TMT
HIGH630 TMT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW190 TMT
AVERAGE940 TMT
HIGH1,500 TMT
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW220 TMT
AVERAGE1,100 TMT
HIGH1,800 TMT
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW170 TMT
AVERAGE870 TMT
HIGH1,400 TMT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW94 TMT
AVERAGE470 TMT
HIGH760 TMT
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW31 TMT
AVERAGE160 TMT
HIGH250 TMT
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW270 TMT
AVERAGE1,300 TMT
HIGH2,100 TMT
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Turkmenistan

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,200 TMT
AVERAGE4,000 TMT
HIGH6,000 TMT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW110 TMT
AVERAGE500 TMT
HIGH570 TMT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW290 TMT
AVERAGE1,000 TMT
HIGH1,500 TMT
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW660 TMT
AVERAGE2,300 TMT
HIGH3,400 TMT
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW290 TMT
AVERAGE1,000 TMT
HIGH1,500 TMT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW180 TMT
AVERAGE630 TMT
HIGH940 TMT
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW510 TMT
AVERAGE1,800 TMT
HIGH2,600 TMT
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW440 TMT
AVERAGE1,500 TMT
HIGH2,300 TMT
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Turkmenistan

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW130 TMT
AVERAGE760 TMT
HIGH1,600 TMT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW21 TMT
AVERAGE130 TMT
HIGH270 TMT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW37 TMT
AVERAGE220 TMT
HIGH480 TMT
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW100 TMT
AVERAGE630 TMT
HIGH1,400 TMT
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW31 TMT
AVERAGE190 TMT
HIGH410 TMT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW26 TMT
AVERAGE160 TMT
HIGH340 TMT
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW100 TMT
AVERAGE600 TMT
HIGH1,300 TMT
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW79 TMT
AVERAGE470 TMT
HIGH1,000 TMT
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Turkmenistan typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,200 TMT with expenditure ranging from 550 TMT and 3,800 TMT. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Turkmenistan ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 300 TMT with 68 TMT and 500 TMT being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 150 TMT to 1,100 TMT on commuting with 630 TMT being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Turkmenistan is 1,200 TMT. The cost of groceries can range between 290 TMT to 2,000 TMT. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Turkmenistan allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 150 TMT to 1,000 TMT with 610 TMT being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 89 TMT to 620 TMT with 370 TMT being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 650 TMT per month with 170 TMT being the minimum spent amount and 1,100 TMT being the maximum.

©copound