Cost Of Living in Uganda

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Uganda

Whether you're living in Uganda or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,100,000 UGX
average per month
530,000 UGX
Range
4,500,000 UGX

Couple
3,900,000 UGX
average per month
790,000 UGX
Range
6,300,000 UGX

Family
6,300,000 UGX
average per month
1,800,000 UGX
Range
9,500,000 UGX

Student
1,600,000 UGX
average per month
260,000 UGX
Range
3,400,000 UGX
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Uganda is 2,100,000 UGX. Expenses can range from 530,000 UGX at the minimum level to 4,500,000 UGX at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Uganda is 3,900,000 UGX. Expenditure can range from 790,000 UGX to 6,300,000 UGX per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Uganda is 6,300,000 UGX per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,800,000 UGX to 9,500,000 UGX.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Uganda is 1,600,000 UGX. Students spend from 260,000 UGX to 3,400,000 UGX per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Uganda

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

530 UGX

530 UGX
530 UGX

Fast food
combo meal

5,300 UGX

3,800 UGX
8,800 UGX

Restaurant
meal for one

18,000 UGX

14,000 UGX
22,000 UGX

Fine dining
meal for one

44,000 UGX

29,000 UGX
53,000 UGX

Soda
Soft Drink

440 UGX

440 UGX
440 UGX

Cappuccino
or latte

3,500 UGX

2,200 UGX
5,300 UGX

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2,600 UGX

2,200 UGX
2,900 UGX

Loaf of
bread

380 UGX

330 UGX
440 UGX

12
eggs

2,600 UGX

2,200 UGX
3,300 UGX

Fresh whole
chicken

6,100 UGX

4,800 UGX
7,500 UGX

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

6,900 UGX

5,800 UGX
8,800 UGX

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

3,800 UGX

3,300 UGX
4,400 UGX

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1,800 UGX

1,500 UGX
2,200 UGX

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1,900 UGX

1,600 UGX
2,000 UGX

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1,800 UGX

1,600 UGX
2,000 UGX

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2,600 UGX

2,200 UGX
5,300 UGX

Average car
full tank

18,000 UGX

13,000 UGX
35,000 UGX

Average car
1-day rental

18,000 UGX

13,000 UGX
26,000 UGX

Average car
price

13,000,000 UGX

6,600,000 UGX
18,000,000 UGX

Bus ticket
one way

660 UGX

440 UGX
1,300 UGX

Car
Service

26,000 UGX

18,000 UGX
53,000 UGX

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

130,000 UGX

32,000 UGX
270,000 UGX

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

160,000 UGX

39,000 UGX
320,000 UGX

Electricity
and water bill
Family

250,000 UGX

55,000 UGX
280,000 UGX

Internet
and cable

26,000 UGX

13,000 UGX
35,000 UGX

Mobile phone
charges

18,000 UGX

11,000 UGX
53,000 UGX

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

8,800 UGX

6,600 UGX
13,000 UGX

One month gym
membership

26,000 UGX

21,000 UGX
53,000 UGX

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

22,000 UGX

15,000 UGX
33,000 UGX

Woman
dress

20,000 UGX

15,000 UGX
66,000 UGX

Woman
shoes

19,000 UGX

14,000 UGX
44,000 UGX

Men
shoes

15,000 UGX

12,000 UGX
29,000 UGX

Men
suit

16,000 UGX

13,000 UGX
88,000 UGX

Regular
t-shirt

8,800 UGX

6,600 UGX
26,000 UGX

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

330,000 UGX

220,000 UGX
880,000 UGX

1-bedroom
apartment

530,000 UGX

330,000 UGX
1,300,000 UGX

2-bedroom
apartment

660,000 UGX

440,000 UGX
1,800,000 UGX

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

66,000,000 UGX

44,000,000 UGX
130,000,000 UGX

1-bedroom
apartment

88,000,000 UGX

53,000,000 UGX
330,000,000 UGX

2-bedroom
apartment

260,000,000 UGX

88,000,000 UGX
530,000,000 UGX

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

330,000 UGX

260,000 UGX
440,000 UGX

Double
Bed

260,000 UGX

180,000 UGX
330,000 UGX

Single
Bed

200,000 UGX

150,000 UGX
260,000 UGX

Living
Room

380,000 UGX

290,000 UGX
1,300,000 UGX

Dining
Table

180,000 UGX

130,000 UGX
330,000 UGX

Sofa
or Couch

240,000 UGX

180,000 UGX
530,000 UGX

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

260,000 UGX

180,000 UGX
530,000 UGX

Fridge
or Freezer

240,000 UGX

150,000 UGX
330,000 UGX

Washing
Machine

290,000 UGX

200,000 UGX
530,000 UGX

Stove
or Cooker

240,000 UGX

190,000 UGX
330,000 UGX

Mobile
Phone

260,000 UGX

220,000 UGX
380,000 UGX

Laptop
or Computer

290,000 UGX

240,000 UGX
530,000 UGX

How do people spend their money in Uganda?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Uganda

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW190,000 UGX
AVERAGE760,000 UGX
HIGH1,600,000 UGX
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW32,000 UGX
AVERAGE130,000 UGX
HIGH270,000 UGX
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW42,000 UGX
AVERAGE170,000 UGX
HIGH360,000 UGX
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW84,000 UGX
AVERAGE340,000 UGX
HIGH720,000 UGX
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW47,000 UGX
AVERAGE190,000 UGX
HIGH400,000 UGX
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW26,000 UGX
AVERAGE110,000 UGX
HIGH220,000 UGX
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW11,000 UGX
AVERAGE42,000 UGX
HIGH89,000 UGX
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW95,000 UGX
AVERAGE380,000 UGX
HIGH800,000 UGX
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Uganda

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW260,000 UGX
AVERAGE1,300,000 UGX
HIGH2,100,000 UGX
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW39,000 UGX
AVERAGE160,000 UGX
HIGH320,000 UGX
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW95,000 UGX
AVERAGE470,000 UGX
HIGH760,000 UGX
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW110,000 UGX
AVERAGE550,000 UGX
HIGH880,000 UGX
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW87,000 UGX
AVERAGE430,000 UGX
HIGH690,000 UGX
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW47,000 UGX
AVERAGE240,000 UGX
HIGH380,000 UGX
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW16,000 UGX
AVERAGE79,000 UGX
HIGH130,000 UGX
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW130,000 UGX
AVERAGE670,000 UGX
HIGH1,100,000 UGX
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Uganda

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW590,000 UGX
AVERAGE2,000,000 UGX
HIGH3,000,000 UGX
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW55,000 UGX
AVERAGE250,000 UGX
HIGH280,000 UGX
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW150,000 UGX
AVERAGE510,000 UGX
HIGH760,000 UGX
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW330,000 UGX
AVERAGE1,100,000 UGX
HIGH1,700,000 UGX
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW150,000 UGX
AVERAGE510,000 UGX
HIGH760,000 UGX
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW92,000 UGX
AVERAGE320,000 UGX
HIGH470,000 UGX
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW260,000 UGX
AVERAGE880,000 UGX
HIGH1,300,000 UGX
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW220,000 UGX
AVERAGE760,000 UGX
HIGH1,100,000 UGX
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Uganda

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW63,000 UGX
AVERAGE380,000 UGX
HIGH820,000 UGX
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW11,000 UGX
AVERAGE63,000 UGX
HIGH140,000 UGX
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW18,000 UGX
AVERAGE110,000 UGX
HIGH240,000 UGX
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW53,000 UGX
AVERAGE320,000 UGX
HIGH680,000 UGX
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW16,000 UGX
AVERAGE95,000 UGX
HIGH210,000 UGX
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW13,000 UGX
AVERAGE79,000 UGX
HIGH170,000 UGX
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW50,000 UGX
AVERAGE300,000 UGX
HIGH650,000 UGX
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW39,000 UGX
AVERAGE240,000 UGX
HIGH510,000 UGX
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Uganda typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,100,000 UGX with expenditure ranging from 280,000 UGX and 1,900,000 UGX. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Uganda ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 150,000 UGX with 34,000 UGX and 250,000 UGX being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 76,000 UGX to 530,000 UGX on commuting with 310,000 UGX being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Uganda is 590,000 UGX. The cost of groceries can range between 140,000 UGX to 1,000,000 UGX. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Uganda allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 74,000 UGX to 510,000 UGX with 310,000 UGX being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 45,000 UGX to 310,000 UGX with 180,000 UGX being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 330,000 UGX per month with 84,000 UGX being the minimum spent amount and 550,000 UGX being the maximum.

©copound