Cost Of Living in Ukraine

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Ukraine

Whether you're living in Ukraine or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
18,000 UAH
average per month
4,600 UAH
Range
39,000 UAH

Couple
35,000 UAH
average per month
6,900 UAH
Range
55,000 UAH

Family
55,000 UAH
average per month
16,000 UAH
Range
83,000 UAH

Student
14,000 UAH
average per month
2,300 UAH
Range
30,000 UAH
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Ukraine is 18,000 UAH. Expenses can range from 4,600 UAH at the minimum level to 39,000 UAH at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Ukraine is 35,000 UAH. Expenditure can range from 6,900 UAH to 55,000 UAH per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Ukraine is 55,000 UAH per month. Families spend anywhere from 16,000 UAH to 83,000 UAH.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Ukraine is 14,000 UAH. Students spend from 2,300 UAH to 30,000 UAH per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Ukraine

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

4.6 UAH

4.6 UAH
4.6 UAH

Fast food
combo meal

46 UAH

33 UAH
77 UAH

Restaurant
meal for one

150 UAH

120 UAH
190 UAH

Fine dining
meal for one

380 UAH

260 UAH
460 UAH

Soda
Soft Drink

3.8 UAH

3.8 UAH
3.8 UAH

Cappuccino
or latte

31 UAH

19 UAH
46 UAH

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

23 UAH

19 UAH
26 UAH

Loaf of
bread

3.3 UAH

2.9 UAH
3.8 UAH

12
eggs

23 UAH

19 UAH
29 UAH

Fresh whole
chicken

54 UAH

42 UAH
66 UAH

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

61 UAH

51 UAH
77 UAH

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

33 UAH

29 UAH
38 UAH

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

15 UAH

13 UAH
19 UAH

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

16 UAH

14 UAH
18 UAH

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

16 UAH

14 UAH
18 UAH

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

23 UAH

19 UAH
46 UAH

Average car
full tank

150 UAH

120 UAH
310 UAH

Average car
1-day rental

150 UAH

120 UAH
230 UAH

Average car
price

120,000 UAH

58,000 UAH
150,000 UAH

Bus ticket
one way

5.8 UAH

3.8 UAH
12 UAH

Car
Service

230 UAH

150 UAH
460 UAH

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,100 UAH

280 UAH
2,400 UAH

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,400 UAH

350 UAH
2,800 UAH

Electricity
and water bill
Family

2,200 UAH

480 UAH
2,500 UAH

Internet
and cable

230 UAH

120 UAH
310 UAH

Mobile phone
charges

150 UAH

92 UAH
460 UAH

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

77 UAH

58 UAH
120 UAH

One month gym
membership

230 UAH

180 UAH
460 UAH

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

190 UAH

140 UAH
290 UAH

Woman
dress

180 UAH

130 UAH
580 UAH

Woman
shoes

160 UAH

120 UAH
380 UAH

Men
shoes

130 UAH

100 UAH
260 UAH

Men
suit

140 UAH

120 UAH
770 UAH

Regular
t-shirt

77 UAH

58 UAH
230 UAH

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

2,900 UAH

1,900 UAH
7,700 UAH

1-bedroom
apartment

4,600 UAH

2,900 UAH
12,000 UAH

2-bedroom
apartment

5,800 UAH

3,800 UAH
15,000 UAH

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

580,000 UAH

380,000 UAH
1,200,000 UAH

1-bedroom
apartment

770,000 UAH

460,000 UAH
2,900,000 UAH

2-bedroom
apartment

2,300,000 UAH

770,000 UAH
4,600,000 UAH

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

2,900 UAH

2,300 UAH
3,800 UAH

Double
Bed

2,300 UAH

1,500 UAH
2,900 UAH

Single
Bed

1,800 UAH

1,400 UAH
2,300 UAH

Living
Room

3,300 UAH

2,600 UAH
12,000 UAH

Dining
Table

1,500 UAH

1,200 UAH
2,900 UAH

Sofa
or Couch

2,100 UAH

1,500 UAH
4,600 UAH

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

2,300 UAH

1,500 UAH
4,600 UAH

Fridge
or Freezer

2,100 UAH

1,400 UAH
2,900 UAH

Washing
Machine

2,600 UAH

1,800 UAH
4,600 UAH

Stove
or Cooker

2,100 UAH

1,600 UAH
2,900 UAH

Mobile
Phone

2,300 UAH

1,900 UAH
3,300 UAH

Laptop
or Computer

2,600 UAH

2,100 UAH
4,600 UAH

How do people spend their money in Ukraine?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Ukraine

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,700 UAH
AVERAGE6,600 UAH
HIGH14,000 UAH
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW280 UAH
AVERAGE1,100 UAH
HIGH2,400 UAH
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW370 UAH
AVERAGE1,500 UAH
HIGH3,100 UAH
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW740 UAH
AVERAGE2,900 UAH
HIGH6,300 UAH
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW410 UAH
AVERAGE1,700 UAH
HIGH3,500 UAH
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW230 UAH
AVERAGE920 UAH
HIGH2,000 UAH
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW92 UAH
AVERAGE370 UAH
HIGH780 UAH
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW830 UAH
AVERAGE3,300 UAH
HIGH7,100 UAH
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Ukraine

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW2,300 UAH
AVERAGE11,000 UAH
HIGH18,000 UAH
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW350 UAH
AVERAGE1,400 UAH
HIGH2,800 UAH
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW830 UAH
AVERAGE4,100 UAH
HIGH6,600 UAH
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW970 UAH
AVERAGE4,800 UAH
HIGH7,700 UAH
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW760 UAH
AVERAGE3,800 UAH
HIGH6,100 UAH
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW410 UAH
AVERAGE2,100 UAH
HIGH3,300 UAH
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW140 UAH
AVERAGE690 UAH
HIGH1,100 UAH
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,200 UAH
AVERAGE5,900 UAH
HIGH9,400 UAH
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Ukraine

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW5,200 UAH
AVERAGE18,000 UAH
HIGH27,000 UAH
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW480 UAH
AVERAGE2,200 UAH
HIGH2,500 UAH
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,300 UAH
AVERAGE4,400 UAH
HIGH6,600 UAH
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW2,900 UAH
AVERAGE10,000 UAH
HIGH15,000 UAH
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,300 UAH
AVERAGE4,400 UAH
HIGH6,600 UAH
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW810 UAH
AVERAGE2,800 UAH
HIGH4,100 UAH
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW2,300 UAH
AVERAGE7,700 UAH
HIGH12,000 UAH
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,900 UAH
AVERAGE6,600 UAH
HIGH10,000 UAH
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Ukraine

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW550 UAH
AVERAGE3,300 UAH
HIGH7,200 UAH
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW92 UAH
AVERAGE550 UAH
HIGH1,200 UAH
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW160 UAH
AVERAGE970 UAH
HIGH2,100 UAH
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW460 UAH
AVERAGE2,800 UAH
HIGH6,000 UAH
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW140 UAH
AVERAGE830 UAH
HIGH1,800 UAH
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW120 UAH
AVERAGE690 UAH
HIGH1,500 UAH
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW440 UAH
AVERAGE2,600 UAH
HIGH5,700 UAH
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW350 UAH
AVERAGE2,100 UAH
HIGH4,500 UAH
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Ukraine typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 9,800 UAH with expenditure ranging from 2,400 UAH and 17,000 UAH. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Ukraine ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,300 UAH with 300 UAH and 2,200 UAH being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 660 UAH to 4,600 UAH on commuting with 2,800 UAH being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Ukraine is 5,100 UAH. The cost of groceries can range between 1,300 UAH to 8,700 UAH. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Ukraine allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 650 UAH to 4,500 UAH with 2,700 UAH being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 390 UAH to 2,700 UAH with 1,600 UAH being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 2,900 UAH per month with 730 UAH being the minimum spent amount and 4,800 UAH being the maximum.

Kyiv   Lviv  
©copound