Cost Of Living in United Arab Emirates

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in United Arab Emirates

Whether you're living in United Arab Emirates or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
11,000 AED
average per month
2,900 AED
Range
24,000 AED

Couple
21,000 AED
average per month
4,300 AED
Range
34,000 AED

Family
34,000 AED
average per month
10,000 AED
Range
52,000 AED

Student
8,600 AED
average per month
1,400 AED
Range
19,000 AED
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in United Arab Emirates is 11,000 AED. Expenses can range from 2,900 AED at the minimum level to 24,000 AED at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in United Arab Emirates is 21,000 AED. Expenditure can range from 4,300 AED to 34,000 AED per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in United Arab Emirates is 34,000 AED per month. Families spend anywhere from 10,000 AED to 52,000 AED.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in United Arab Emirates is 8,600 AED. Students spend from 1,400 AED to 19,000 AED per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in United Arab Emirates

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

2.9 AED

2.9 AED
2.9 AED

Fast food
combo meal

29 AED

20 AED
48 AED

Restaurant
meal for one

96 AED

75 AED
120 AED

Fine dining
meal for one

240 AED

160 AED
290 AED

Soda
Soft Drink

2.4 AED

2.4 AED
2.4 AED

Cappuccino
or latte

19 AED

12 AED
29 AED

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

14 AED

12 AED
16 AED

Loaf of
bread

2.1 AED

1.8 AED
2.4 AED

12
eggs

14 AED

12 AED
18 AED

Fresh whole
chicken

33 AED

26 AED
41 AED

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

38 AED

32 AED
48 AED

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

20 AED

18 AED
24 AED

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

9.6 AED

8.0 AED
12 AED

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

10 AED

9.0 AED
11 AED

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

9.9 AED

8.7 AED
11 AED

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

14 AED

12 AED
29 AED

Average car
full tank

96 AED

72 AED
190 AED

Average car
1-day rental

96 AED

72 AED
140 AED

Average car
price

72,000 AED

36,000 AED
96,000 AED

Bus ticket
one way

3.6 AED

2.4 AED
7.2 AED

Car
Service

140 AED

96 AED
290 AED

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

690 AED

170 AED
1,500 AED

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

860 AED

210 AED
1,700 AED

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,400 AED

300 AED
1,500 AED

Internet
and cable

140 AED

72 AED
190 AED

Mobile phone
charges

96 AED

57 AED
290 AED

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

48 AED

36 AED
72 AED

One month gym
membership

140 AED

110 AED
290 AED

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

120 AED

84 AED
180 AED

Woman
dress

110 AED

80 AED
360 AED

Woman
shoes

100 AED

75 AED
240 AED

Men
shoes

80 AED

65 AED
160 AED

Men
suit

90 AED

72 AED
480 AED

Regular
t-shirt

48 AED

36 AED
140 AED

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,800 AED

1,200 AED
4,800 AED

1-bedroom
apartment

2,900 AED

1,800 AED
7,200 AED

2-bedroom
apartment

3,600 AED

2,400 AED
9,600 AED

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

360,000 AED

240,000 AED
720,000 AED

1-bedroom
apartment

480,000 AED

290,000 AED
1,800,000 AED

2-bedroom
apartment

1,400,000 AED

480,000 AED
2,900,000 AED

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,800 AED

1,400 AED
2,400 AED

Double
Bed

1,400 AED

960 AED
1,800 AED

Single
Bed

1,100 AED

840 AED
1,400 AED

Living
Room

2,000 AED

1,600 AED
7,200 AED

Dining
Table

960 AED

720 AED
1,800 AED

Sofa
or Couch

1,300 AED

960 AED
2,900 AED

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,400 AED

960 AED
2,900 AED

Fridge
or Freezer

1,300 AED

840 AED
1,800 AED

Washing
Machine

1,600 AED

1,100 AED
2,900 AED

Stove
or Cooker

1,300 AED

1,000 AED
1,800 AED

Mobile
Phone

1,400 AED

1,200 AED
2,000 AED

Laptop
or Computer

1,600 AED

1,300 AED
2,900 AED

How do people spend their money in United Arab Emirates?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in United Arab Emirates

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,000 AED
AVERAGE4,100 AED
HIGH8,800 AED
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW170 AED
AVERAGE690 AED
HIGH1,500 AED
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW230 AED
AVERAGE920 AED
HIGH1,900 AED
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW460 AED
AVERAGE1,800 AED
HIGH3,900 AED
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW260 AED
AVERAGE1,000 AED
HIGH2,200 AED
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW140 AED
AVERAGE570 AED
HIGH1,200 AED
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW57 AED
AVERAGE230 AED
HIGH490 AED
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW520 AED
AVERAGE2,100 AED
HIGH4,400 AED
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in United Arab Emirates

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,400 AED
AVERAGE7,100 AED
HIGH11,000 AED
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW210 AED
AVERAGE860 AED
HIGH1,700 AED
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW520 AED
AVERAGE2,600 AED
HIGH4,100 AED
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW600 AED
AVERAGE3,000 AED
HIGH4,800 AED
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW470 AED
AVERAGE2,400 AED
HIGH3,800 AED
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW260 AED
AVERAGE1,300 AED
HIGH2,100 AED
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW86 AED
AVERAGE430 AED
HIGH690 AED
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW730 AED
AVERAGE3,700 AED
HIGH5,800 AED
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in United Arab Emirates

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW3,200 AED
AVERAGE11,000 AED
HIGH17,000 AED
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW300 AED
AVERAGE1,400 AED
HIGH1,500 AED
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW800 AED
AVERAGE2,800 AED
HIGH4,100 AED
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,800 AED
AVERAGE6,200 AED
HIGH9,300 AED
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW800 AED
AVERAGE2,800 AED
HIGH4,100 AED
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW500 AED
AVERAGE1,700 AED
HIGH2,600 AED
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,400 AED
AVERAGE4,800 AED
HIGH7,200 AED
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,200 AED
AVERAGE4,100 AED
HIGH6,200 AED
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in United Arab Emirates

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW340 AED
AVERAGE2,100 AED
HIGH4,500 AED
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW57 AED
AVERAGE340 AED
HIGH750 AED
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW100 AED
AVERAGE600 AED
HIGH1,300 AED
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW290 AED
AVERAGE1,700 AED
HIGH3,700 AED
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW86 AED
AVERAGE520 AED
HIGH1,100 AED
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW72 AED
AVERAGE430 AED
HIGH930 AED
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW270 AED
AVERAGE1,600 AED
HIGH3,500 AED
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW210 AED
AVERAGE1,300 AED
HIGH2,800 AED
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in United Arab Emirates typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 6,100 AED with expenditure ranging from 1,500 AED and 10,000 AED. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in United Arab Emirates ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 820 AED with 190 AED and 1,400 AED being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 410 AED to 2,900 AED on commuting with 1,700 AED being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in United Arab Emirates is 3,200 AED. The cost of groceries can range between 790 AED to 5,400 AED. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in United Arab Emirates allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 400 AED to 2,800 AED with 1,700 AED being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 240 AED to 1,700 AED with 1,000 AED being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,800 AED per month with 460 AED being the minimum spent amount and 3,000 AED being the maximum.

©copound