Cost Of Living in Uruguay

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Uruguay

Whether you're living in Uruguay or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
26,000 UYU
average per month
6,600 UYU
Range
56,000 UYU

Couple
50,000 UYU
average per month
9,900 UYU
Range
79,000 UYU

Family
79,000 UYU
average per month
23,000 UYU
Range
120,000 UYU

Student
20,000 UYU
average per month
3,300 UYU
Range
43,000 UYU
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Uruguay is 26,000 UYU. Expenses can range from 6,600 UYU at the minimum level to 56,000 UYU at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Uruguay is 50,000 UYU. Expenditure can range from 9,900 UYU to 79,000 UYU per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Uruguay is 79,000 UYU per month. Families spend anywhere from 23,000 UYU to 120,000 UYU.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Uruguay is 20,000 UYU. Students spend from 3,300 UYU to 43,000 UYU per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Uruguay

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

6.6 UYU

6.6 UYU
6.6 UYU

Fast food
combo meal

66 UYU

47 UYU
110 UYU

Restaurant
meal for one

220 UYU

170 UYU
280 UYU

Fine dining
meal for one

550 UYU

370 UYU
660 UYU

Soda
Soft Drink

5.5 UYU

5.5 UYU
5.5 UYU

Cappuccino
or latte

44 UYU

28 UYU
66 UYU

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

33 UYU

28 UYU
37 UYU

Loaf of
bread

4.7 UYU

4.1 UYU
5.5 UYU

12
eggs

33 UYU

28 UYU
41 UYU

Fresh whole
chicken

77 UYU

60 UYU
95 UYU

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

87 UYU

74 UYU
110 UYU

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

47 UYU

41 UYU
55 UYU

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

22 UYU

18 UYU
28 UYU

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

24 UYU

21 UYU
25 UYU

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

23 UYU

20 UYU
25 UYU

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

33 UYU

28 UYU
66 UYU

Average car
full tank

220 UYU

170 UYU
440 UYU

Average car
1-day rental

220 UYU

170 UYU
330 UYU

Average car
price

170,000 UYU

83,000 UYU
220,000 UYU

Bus ticket
one way

8.3 UYU

5.5 UYU
17 UYU

Car
Service

330 UYU

220 UYU
660 UYU

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,600 UYU

400 UYU
3,400 UYU

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

2,000 UYU

500 UYU
4,000 UYU

Electricity
and water bill
Family

3,200 UYU

690 UYU
3,600 UYU

Internet
and cable

330 UYU

170 UYU
440 UYU

Mobile phone
charges

220 UYU

130 UYU
660 UYU

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

110 UYU

83 UYU
170 UYU

One month gym
membership

330 UYU

260 UYU
660 UYU

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

280 UYU

190 UYU
410 UYU

Woman
dress

250 UYU

180 UYU
830 UYU

Woman
shoes

240 UYU

170 UYU
550 UYU

Men
shoes

180 UYU

150 UYU
370 UYU

Men
suit

210 UYU

170 UYU
1,100 UYU

Regular
t-shirt

110 UYU

83 UYU
330 UYU

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

4,100 UYU

2,800 UYU
11,000 UYU

1-bedroom
apartment

6,600 UYU

4,100 UYU
17,000 UYU

2-bedroom
apartment

8,300 UYU

5,500 UYU
22,000 UYU

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

830,000 UYU

550,000 UYU
1,700,000 UYU

1-bedroom
apartment

1,100,000 UYU

660,000 UYU
4,100,000 UYU

2-bedroom
apartment

3,300,000 UYU

1,100,000 UYU
6,600,000 UYU

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

4,100 UYU

3,300 UYU
5,500 UYU

Double
Bed

3,300 UYU

2,200 UYU
4,100 UYU

Single
Bed

2,500 UYU

1,900 UYU
3,300 UYU

Living
Room

4,700 UYU

3,700 UYU
17,000 UYU

Dining
Table

2,200 UYU

1,700 UYU
4,100 UYU

Sofa
or Couch

3,000 UYU

2,200 UYU
6,600 UYU

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

3,300 UYU

2,200 UYU
6,600 UYU

Fridge
or Freezer

3,000 UYU

1,900 UYU
4,100 UYU

Washing
Machine

3,700 UYU

2,500 UYU
6,600 UYU

Stove
or Cooker

3,000 UYU

2,400 UYU
4,100 UYU

Mobile
Phone

3,300 UYU

2,800 UYU
4,700 UYU

Laptop
or Computer

3,700 UYU

3,000 UYU
6,600 UYU

How do people spend their money in Uruguay?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Uruguay

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW2,400 UYU
AVERAGE9,500 UYU
HIGH20,000 UYU
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW400 UYU
AVERAGE1,600 UYU
HIGH3,400 UYU
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW530 UYU
AVERAGE2,100 UYU
HIGH4,500 UYU
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,100 UYU
AVERAGE4,200 UYU
HIGH9,000 UYU
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW600 UYU
AVERAGE2,400 UYU
HIGH5,100 UYU
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW330 UYU
AVERAGE1,300 UYU
HIGH2,800 UYU
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW130 UYU
AVERAGE530 UYU
HIGH1,100 UYU
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,200 UYU
AVERAGE4,800 UYU
HIGH10,000 UYU
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Uruguay

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW3,300 UYU
AVERAGE16,000 UYU
HIGH26,000 UYU
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW500 UYU
AVERAGE2,000 UYU
HIGH4,000 UYU
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,200 UYU
AVERAGE6,000 UYU
HIGH9,500 UYU
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,400 UYU
AVERAGE6,900 UYU
HIGH11,000 UYU
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,100 UYU
AVERAGE5,500 UYU
HIGH8,700 UYU
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW600 UYU
AVERAGE3,000 UYU
HIGH4,800 UYU
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW200 UYU
AVERAGE990 UYU
HIGH1,600 UYU
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,700 UYU
AVERAGE8,400 UYU
HIGH13,000 UYU
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Uruguay

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW7,400 UYU
AVERAGE25,000 UYU
HIGH38,000 UYU
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW690 UYU
AVERAGE3,200 UYU
HIGH3,600 UYU
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,900 UYU
AVERAGE6,400 UYU
HIGH9,500 UYU
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW4,200 UYU
AVERAGE14,000 UYU
HIGH21,000 UYU
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,900 UYU
AVERAGE6,400 UYU
HIGH9,500 UYU
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,200 UYU
AVERAGE4,000 UYU
HIGH6,000 UYU
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW3,200 UYU
AVERAGE11,000 UYU
HIGH17,000 UYU
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW2,800 UYU
AVERAGE9,500 UYU
HIGH14,000 UYU
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Uruguay

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW790 UYU
AVERAGE4,800 UYU
HIGH10,000 UYU
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW130 UYU
AVERAGE790 UYU
HIGH1,700 UYU
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW230 UYU
AVERAGE1,400 UYU
HIGH3,000 UYU
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW660 UYU
AVERAGE4,000 UYU
HIGH8,600 UYU
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW200 UYU
AVERAGE1,200 UYU
HIGH2,600 UYU
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW170 UYU
AVERAGE990 UYU
HIGH2,200 UYU
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW630 UYU
AVERAGE3,800 UYU
HIGH8,200 UYU
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW500 UYU
AVERAGE3,000 UYU
HIGH6,500 UYU
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Uruguay typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 14,000 UYU with expenditure ranging from 3,500 UYU and 24,000 UYU. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Uruguay ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,900 UYU with 430 UYU and 3,200 UYU being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 950 UYU to 6,600 UYU on commuting with 4,000 UYU being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Uruguay is 7,400 UYU. The cost of groceries can range between 1,800 UYU to 13,000 UYU. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Uruguay allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 930 UYU to 6,500 UYU with 3,800 UYU being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 560 UYU to 3,900 UYU with 2,300 UYU being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 4,100 UYU per month with 1,100 UYU being the minimum spent amount and 6,900 UYU being the maximum.

©copound