Cost Of Living in Vanuatu

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Vanuatu

Whether you're living in Vanuatu or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
80,000 VUV
average per month
20,000 VUV
Range
170,000 VUV

Couple
150,000 VUV
average per month
30,000 VUV
Range
240,000 VUV

Family
240,000 VUV
average per month
70,000 VUV
Range
360,000 VUV

Student
60,000 VUV
average per month
9,900 VUV
Range
130,000 VUV
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Vanuatu is 80,000 VUV. Expenses can range from 20,000 VUV at the minimum level to 170,000 VUV at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Vanuatu is 150,000 VUV. Expenditure can range from 30,000 VUV to 240,000 VUV per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Vanuatu is 240,000 VUV per month. Families spend anywhere from 70,000 VUV to 360,000 VUV.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Vanuatu is 60,000 VUV. Students spend from 9,900 VUV to 130,000 VUV per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Vanuatu

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

20 VUV

20 VUV
20 VUV

Fast food
combo meal

200 VUV

140 VUV
330 VUV

Restaurant
meal for one

660 VUV

520 VUV
830 VUV

Fine dining
meal for one

1,700 VUV

1,100 VUV
2,000 VUV

Soda
Soft Drink

17 VUV

17 VUV
17 VUV

Cappuccino
or latte

130 VUV

83 VUV
200 VUV

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

99 VUV

83 VUV
110 VUV

Loaf of
bread

14 VUV

12 VUV
17 VUV

12
eggs

99 VUV

83 VUV
120 VUV

Fresh whole
chicken

230 VUV

180 VUV
280 VUV

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

260 VUV

220 VUV
330 VUV

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

140 VUV

120 VUV
170 VUV

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

66 VUV

55 VUV
83 VUV

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

71 VUV

62 VUV
77 VUV

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

69 VUV

60 VUV
77 VUV

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

99 VUV

83 VUV
200 VUV

Average car
full tank

660 VUV

500 VUV
1,300 VUV

Average car
1-day rental

660 VUV

500 VUV
990 VUV

Average car
price

500,000 VUV

250,000 VUV
660,000 VUV

Bus ticket
one way

25 VUV

17 VUV
50 VUV

Car
Service

990 VUV

660 VUV
2,000 VUV

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

4,800 VUV

1,200 VUV
10,000 VUV

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

6,000 VUV

1,500 VUV
12,000 VUV

Electricity
and water bill
Family

9,500 VUV

2,100 VUV
11,000 VUV

Internet
and cable

990 VUV

500 VUV
1,300 VUV

Mobile phone
charges

660 VUV

400 VUV
2,000 VUV

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

330 VUV

250 VUV
500 VUV

One month gym
membership

990 VUV

800 VUV
2,000 VUV

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

830 VUV

590 VUV
1,200 VUV

Woman
dress

770 VUV

550 VUV
2,500 VUV

Woman
shoes

710 VUV

520 VUV
1,700 VUV

Men
shoes

550 VUV

450 VUV
1,100 VUV

Men
suit

620 VUV

500 VUV
3,300 VUV

Regular
t-shirt

330 VUV

250 VUV
990 VUV

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

12,000 VUV

8,300 VUV
33,000 VUV

1-bedroom
apartment

20,000 VUV

12,000 VUV
50,000 VUV

2-bedroom
apartment

25,000 VUV

17,000 VUV
66,000 VUV

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

2,500,000 VUV

1,700,000 VUV
5,000,000 VUV

1-bedroom
apartment

3,300,000 VUV

2,000,000 VUV
12,000,000 VUV

2-bedroom
apartment

9,900,000 VUV

3,300,000 VUV
20,000,000 VUV

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

12,000 VUV

9,900 VUV
17,000 VUV

Double
Bed

9,900 VUV

6,600 VUV
12,000 VUV

Single
Bed

7,700 VUV

5,900 VUV
9,900 VUV

Living
Room

14,000 VUV

11,000 VUV
50,000 VUV

Dining
Table

6,600 VUV

5,000 VUV
12,000 VUV

Sofa
or Couch

9,000 VUV

6,600 VUV
20,000 VUV

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

9,900 VUV

6,600 VUV
20,000 VUV

Fridge
or Freezer

9,000 VUV

5,900 VUV
12,000 VUV

Washing
Machine

11,000 VUV

7,700 VUV
20,000 VUV

Stove
or Cooker

9,000 VUV

7,100 VUV
12,000 VUV

Mobile
Phone

9,900 VUV

8,300 VUV
14,000 VUV

Laptop
or Computer

11,000 VUV

9,000 VUV
20,000 VUV

How do people spend their money in Vanuatu?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Vanuatu

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW7,200 VUV
AVERAGE29,000 VUV
HIGH61,000 VUV
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,200 VUV
AVERAGE4,800 VUV
HIGH10,000 VUV
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW1,600 VUV
AVERAGE6,400 VUV
HIGH14,000 VUV
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW3,200 VUV
AVERAGE13,000 VUV
HIGH27,000 VUV
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,800 VUV
AVERAGE7,200 VUV
HIGH15,000 VUV
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW990 VUV
AVERAGE4,000 VUV
HIGH8,500 VUV
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW400 VUV
AVERAGE1,600 VUV
HIGH3,400 VUV
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW3,600 VUV
AVERAGE14,000 VUV
HIGH30,000 VUV
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Vanuatu

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW9,800 VUV
AVERAGE49,000 VUV
HIGH79,000 VUV
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW1,500 VUV
AVERAGE6,000 VUV
HIGH12,000 VUV
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW3,600 VUV
AVERAGE18,000 VUV
HIGH29,000 VUV
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW4,200 VUV
AVERAGE21,000 VUV
HIGH33,000 VUV
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW3,300 VUV
AVERAGE16,000 VUV
HIGH26,000 VUV
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW1,800 VUV
AVERAGE9,000 VUV
HIGH14,000 VUV
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW600 VUV
AVERAGE3,000 VUV
HIGH4,800 VUV
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW5,100 VUV
AVERAGE25,000 VUV
HIGH41,000 VUV
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Vanuatu

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW22,000 VUV
AVERAGE76,000 VUV
HIGH110,000 VUV
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW2,100 VUV
AVERAGE9,500 VUV
HIGH11,000 VUV
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW5,600 VUV
AVERAGE19,000 VUV
HIGH29,000 VUV
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW13,000 VUV
AVERAGE43,000 VUV
HIGH64,000 VUV
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW5,600 VUV
AVERAGE19,000 VUV
HIGH29,000 VUV
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,500 VUV
AVERAGE12,000 VUV
HIGH18,000 VUV
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW9,700 VUV
AVERAGE33,000 VUV
HIGH50,000 VUV
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW8,400 VUV
AVERAGE29,000 VUV
HIGH43,000 VUV
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Vanuatu

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW2,400 VUV
AVERAGE14,000 VUV
HIGH31,000 VUV
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW400 VUV
AVERAGE2,400 VUV
HIGH5,200 VUV
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW700 VUV
AVERAGE4,200 VUV
HIGH9,100 VUV
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW2,000 VUV
AVERAGE12,000 VUV
HIGH26,000 VUV
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW600 VUV
AVERAGE3,600 VUV
HIGH7,800 VUV
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW500 VUV
AVERAGE3,000 VUV
HIGH6,500 VUV
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW1,900 VUV
AVERAGE11,000 VUV
HIGH25,000 VUV
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW1,500 VUV
AVERAGE9,000 VUV
HIGH19,000 VUV
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Vanuatu typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 42,000 VUV with expenditure ranging from 10,000 VUV and 71,000 VUV. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Vanuatu ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 5,700 VUV with 1,300 VUV and 9,500 VUV being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 2,900 VUV to 20,000 VUV on commuting with 12,000 VUV being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Vanuatu is 22,000 VUV. The cost of groceries can range between 5,500 VUV to 38,000 VUV. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Vanuatu allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 2,800 VUV to 19,000 VUV with 12,000 VUV being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 1,700 VUV to 12,000 VUV with 7,000 VUV being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 12,000 VUV per month with 3,200 VUV being the minimum spent amount and 21,000 VUV being the maximum.

©copound