Cost Of Living in Venezuela

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Venezuela

Whether you're living in Venezuela or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
110,000 VES
average per month
27,000 VES
Range
230,000 VES

Couple
200,000 VES
average per month
40,000 VES
Range
320,000 VES

Family
320,000 VES
average per month
93,000 VES
Range
480,000 VES

Student
80,000 VES
average per month
13,000 VES
Range
170,000 VES
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Venezuela is 110,000 VES. Expenses can range from 27,000 VES at the minimum level to 230,000 VES at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Venezuela is 200,000 VES. Expenditure can range from 40,000 VES to 320,000 VES per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Venezuela is 320,000 VES per month. Families spend anywhere from 93,000 VES to 480,000 VES.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Venezuela is 80,000 VES. Students spend from 13,000 VES to 170,000 VES per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Venezuela

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

27 VES

27 VES
27 VES

Fast food
combo meal

270 VES

190 VES
440 VES

Restaurant
meal for one

890 VES

700 VES
1,100 VES

Fine dining
meal for one

2,200 VES

1,500 VES
2,700 VES

Soda
Soft Drink

22 VES

22 VES
22 VES

Cappuccino
or latte

180 VES

110 VES
270 VES

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

130 VES

110 VES
150 VES

Loaf of
bread

19 VES

17 VES
22 VES

12
eggs

130 VES

110 VES
170 VES

Fresh whole
chicken

310 VES

240 VES
380 VES

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

350 VES

300 VES
440 VES

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

190 VES

170 VES
220 VES

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

89 VES

74 VES
110 VES

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

95 VES

83 VES
100 VES

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

92 VES

81 VES
100 VES

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

130 VES

110 VES
270 VES

Average car
full tank

890 VES

660 VES
1,800 VES

Average car
1-day rental

890 VES

660 VES
1,300 VES

Average car
price

660,000 VES

330,000 VES
890,000 VES

Bus ticket
one way

33 VES

22 VES
66 VES

Car
Service

1,300 VES

890 VES
2,700 VES

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

6,400 VES

1,600 VES
14,000 VES

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

8,000 VES

2,000 VES
16,000 VES

Electricity
and water bill
Family

13,000 VES

2,800 VES
14,000 VES

Internet
and cable

1,300 VES

660 VES
1,800 VES

Mobile phone
charges

890 VES

530 VES
2,700 VES

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

440 VES

330 VES
660 VES

One month gym
membership

1,300 VES

1,100 VES
2,700 VES

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

1,100 VES

780 VES
1,700 VES

Woman
dress

1,000 VES

740 VES
3,300 VES

Woman
shoes

950 VES

700 VES
2,200 VES

Men
shoes

740 VES

600 VES
1,500 VES

Men
suit

830 VES

660 VES
4,400 VES

Regular
t-shirt

440 VES

330 VES
1,300 VES

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

17,000 VES

11,000 VES
44,000 VES

1-bedroom
apartment

27,000 VES

17,000 VES
66,000 VES

2-bedroom
apartment

33,000 VES

22,000 VES
89,000 VES

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

3,300,000 VES

2,200,000 VES
6,600,000 VES

1-bedroom
apartment

4,400,000 VES

2,700,000 VES
17,000,000 VES

2-bedroom
apartment

13,000,000 VES

4,400,000 VES
27,000,000 VES

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

17,000 VES

13,000 VES
22,000 VES

Double
Bed

13,000 VES

8,900 VES
17,000 VES

Single
Bed

10,000 VES

7,800 VES
13,000 VES

Living
Room

19,000 VES

15,000 VES
66,000 VES

Dining
Table

8,900 VES

6,600 VES
17,000 VES

Sofa
or Couch

12,000 VES

8,900 VES
27,000 VES

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

13,000 VES

8,900 VES
27,000 VES

Fridge
or Freezer

12,000 VES

7,800 VES
17,000 VES

Washing
Machine

15,000 VES

10,000 VES
27,000 VES

Stove
or Cooker

12,000 VES

9,500 VES
17,000 VES

Mobile
Phone

13,000 VES

11,000 VES
19,000 VES

Laptop
or Computer

15,000 VES

12,000 VES
27,000 VES

How do people spend their money in Venezuela?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Venezuela

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW9,600 VES
AVERAGE38,000 VES
HIGH81,000 VES
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,600 VES
AVERAGE6,400 VES
HIGH14,000 VES
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW2,100 VES
AVERAGE8,500 VES
HIGH18,000 VES
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW4,300 VES
AVERAGE17,000 VES
HIGH36,000 VES
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW2,400 VES
AVERAGE9,600 VES
HIGH20,000 VES
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,300 VES
AVERAGE5,300 VES
HIGH11,000 VES
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW530 VES
AVERAGE2,100 VES
HIGH4,500 VES
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW4,800 VES
AVERAGE19,000 VES
HIGH41,000 VES
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Venezuela

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW13,000 VES
AVERAGE66,000 VES
HIGH110,000 VES
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW2,000 VES
AVERAGE8,000 VES
HIGH16,000 VES
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW4,800 VES
AVERAGE24,000 VES
HIGH38,000 VES
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW5,600 VES
AVERAGE28,000 VES
HIGH45,000 VES
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW4,400 VES
AVERAGE22,000 VES
HIGH35,000 VES
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW2,400 VES
AVERAGE12,000 VES
HIGH19,000 VES
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW800 VES
AVERAGE4,000 VES
HIGH6,400 VES
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW6,800 VES
AVERAGE34,000 VES
HIGH54,000 VES
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Venezuela

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW30,000 VES
AVERAGE100,000 VES
HIGH150,000 VES
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW2,800 VES
AVERAGE13,000 VES
HIGH14,000 VES
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW7,400 VES
AVERAGE26,000 VES
HIGH38,000 VES
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW17,000 VES
AVERAGE57,000 VES
HIGH86,000 VES
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW7,400 VES
AVERAGE26,000 VES
HIGH38,000 VES
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW4,700 VES
AVERAGE16,000 VES
HIGH24,000 VES
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW13,000 VES
AVERAGE45,000 VES
HIGH67,000 VES
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW11,000 VES
AVERAGE38,000 VES
HIGH57,000 VES
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Venezuela

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW3,200 VES
AVERAGE19,000 VES
HIGH41,000 VES
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW530 VES
AVERAGE3,200 VES
HIGH6,900 VES
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW930 VES
AVERAGE5,600 VES
HIGH12,000 VES
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW2,700 VES
AVERAGE16,000 VES
HIGH35,000 VES
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW800 VES
AVERAGE4,800 VES
HIGH10,000 VES
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW660 VES
AVERAGE4,000 VES
HIGH8,600 VES
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW2,500 VES
AVERAGE15,000 VES
HIGH33,000 VES
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW2,000 VES
AVERAGE12,000 VES
HIGH26,000 VES
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Venezuela typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 56,000 VES with expenditure ranging from 14,000 VES and 95,000 VES. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Venezuela ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 7,600 VES with 1,700 VES and 13,000 VES being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 3,800 VES to 27,000 VES on commuting with 16,000 VES being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Venezuela is 30,000 VES. The cost of groceries can range between 7,300 VES to 50,000 VES. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Venezuela allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 3,800 VES to 26,000 VES with 15,000 VES being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 2,300 VES to 16,000 VES with 9,300 VES being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 16,000 VES per month with 4,200 VES being the minimum spent amount and 28,000 VES being the maximum.

©copound