Cost Of Living in Vietnam

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Vietnam

Whether you're living in Vietnam or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
14,000,000 VND
average per month
3,500,000 VND
Range
29,000,000 VND

Couple
26,000,000 VND
average per month
5,200,000 VND
Range
41,000,000 VND

Family
41,000,000 VND
average per month
12,000,000 VND
Range
62,000,000 VND

Student
10,000,000 VND
average per month
1,700,000 VND
Range
22,000,000 VND
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Vietnam is 14,000,000 VND. Expenses can range from 3,500,000 VND at the minimum level to 29,000,000 VND at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Vietnam is 26,000,000 VND. Expenditure can range from 5,200,000 VND to 41,000,000 VND per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Vietnam is 41,000,000 VND per month. Families spend anywhere from 12,000,000 VND to 62,000,000 VND.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Vietnam is 10,000,000 VND. Students spend from 1,700,000 VND to 22,000,000 VND per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Vietnam

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

3,500 VND

3,500 VND
3,500 VND

Fast food
combo meal

35,000 VND

25,000 VND
58,000 VND

Restaurant
meal for one

120,000 VND

91,000 VND
140,000 VND

Fine dining
meal for one

290,000 VND

190,000 VND
350,000 VND

Soda
Soft Drink

2,900 VND

2,900 VND
2,900 VND

Cappuccino
or latte

23,000 VND

14,000 VND
35,000 VND

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

17,000 VND

14,000 VND
19,000 VND

Loaf of
bread

2,500 VND

2,200 VND
2,900 VND

12
eggs

17,000 VND

14,000 VND
22,000 VND

Fresh whole
chicken

40,000 VND

31,000 VND
49,000 VND

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

45,000 VND

38,000 VND
58,000 VND

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

25,000 VND

22,000 VND
29,000 VND

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

12,000 VND

9,600 VND
14,000 VND

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

12,000 VND

11,000 VND
13,000 VND

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

12,000 VND

10,000 VND
13,000 VND

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

17,000 VND

14,000 VND
35,000 VND

Average car
full tank

120,000 VND

86,000 VND
230,000 VND

Average car
1-day rental

120,000 VND

86,000 VND
170,000 VND

Average car
price

86,000,000 VND

43,000,000 VND
120,000,000 VND

Bus ticket
one way

4,300 VND

2,900 VND
8,600 VND

Car
Service

170,000 VND

120,000 VND
350,000 VND

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

830,000 VND

210,000 VND
1,800,000 VND

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,000,000 VND

260,000 VND
2,100,000 VND

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,700,000 VND

360,000 VND
1,900,000 VND

Internet
and cable

170,000 VND

86,000 VND
230,000 VND

Mobile phone
charges

120,000 VND

69,000 VND
350,000 VND

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

58,000 VND

43,000 VND
86,000 VND

One month gym
membership

170,000 VND

140,000 VND
350,000 VND

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

140,000 VND

100,000 VND
220,000 VND

Woman
dress

130,000 VND

96,000 VND
430,000 VND

Woman
shoes

120,000 VND

91,000 VND
290,000 VND

Men
shoes

96,000 VND

79,000 VND
190,000 VND

Men
suit

110,000 VND

86,000 VND
580,000 VND

Regular
t-shirt

58,000 VND

43,000 VND
170,000 VND

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

2,200,000 VND

1,400,000 VND
5,800,000 VND

1-bedroom
apartment

3,500,000 VND

2,200,000 VND
8,600,000 VND

2-bedroom
apartment

4,300,000 VND

2,900,000 VND
12,000,000 VND

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

430,000,000 VND

290,000,000 VND
860,000,000 VND

1-bedroom
apartment

580,000,000 VND

350,000,000 VND
2,200,000,000 VND

2-bedroom
apartment

1,700,000,000 VND

580,000,000 VND
3,500,000,000 VND

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

2,200,000 VND

1,700,000 VND
2,900,000 VND

Double
Bed

1,700,000 VND

1,200,000 VND
2,200,000 VND

Single
Bed

1,300,000 VND

1,000,000 VND
1,700,000 VND

Living
Room

2,500,000 VND

1,900,000 VND
8,600,000 VND

Dining
Table

1,200,000 VND

860,000 VND
2,200,000 VND

Sofa
or Couch

1,600,000 VND

1,200,000 VND
3,500,000 VND

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,700,000 VND

1,200,000 VND
3,500,000 VND

Fridge
or Freezer

1,600,000 VND

1,000,000 VND
2,200,000 VND

Washing
Machine

1,900,000 VND

1,300,000 VND
3,500,000 VND

Stove
or Cooker

1,600,000 VND

1,200,000 VND
2,200,000 VND

Mobile
Phone

1,700,000 VND

1,400,000 VND
2,500,000 VND

Laptop
or Computer

1,900,000 VND

1,600,000 VND
3,500,000 VND

How do people spend their money in Vietnam?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Vietnam

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,200,000 VND
AVERAGE5,000,000 VND
HIGH11,000,000 VND
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW210,000 VND
AVERAGE830,000 VND
HIGH1,800,000 VND
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW280,000 VND
AVERAGE1,100,000 VND
HIGH2,400,000 VND
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW550,000 VND
AVERAGE2,200,000 VND
HIGH4,700,000 VND
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW310,000 VND
AVERAGE1,200,000 VND
HIGH2,600,000 VND
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW170,000 VND
AVERAGE690,000 VND
HIGH1,500,000 VND
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW69,000 VND
AVERAGE280,000 VND
HIGH590,000 VND
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW620,000 VND
AVERAGE2,500,000 VND
HIGH5,300,000 VND
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Vietnam

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,700,000 VND
AVERAGE8,600,000 VND
HIGH14,000,000 VND
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW260,000 VND
AVERAGE1,000,000 VND
HIGH2,100,000 VND
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW620,000 VND
AVERAGE3,100,000 VND
HIGH5,000,000 VND
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW730,000 VND
AVERAGE3,600,000 VND
HIGH5,800,000 VND
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW570,000 VND
AVERAGE2,900,000 VND
HIGH4,600,000 VND
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW310,000 VND
AVERAGE1,600,000 VND
HIGH2,500,000 VND
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW100,000 VND
AVERAGE520,000 VND
HIGH830,000 VND
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW880,000 VND
AVERAGE4,400,000 VND
HIGH7,100,000 VND
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Vietnam

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW3,900,000 VND
AVERAGE13,000,000 VND
HIGH20,000,000 VND
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW360,000 VND
AVERAGE1,700,000 VND
HIGH1,900,000 VND
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW970,000 VND
AVERAGE3,300,000 VND
HIGH5,000,000 VND
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW2,200,000 VND
AVERAGE7,500,000 VND
HIGH11,000,000 VND
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW970,000 VND
AVERAGE3,300,000 VND
HIGH5,000,000 VND
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW600,000 VND
AVERAGE2,100,000 VND
HIGH3,100,000 VND
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,700,000 VND
AVERAGE5,800,000 VND
HIGH8,700,000 VND
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,500,000 VND
AVERAGE5,000,000 VND
HIGH7,500,000 VND
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Vietnam

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW410,000 VND
AVERAGE2,500,000 VND
HIGH5,400,000 VND
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW69,000 VND
AVERAGE410,000 VND
HIGH900,000 VND
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW120,000 VND
AVERAGE730,000 VND
HIGH1,600,000 VND
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW350,000 VND
AVERAGE2,100,000 VND
HIGH4,500,000 VND
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW100,000 VND
AVERAGE620,000 VND
HIGH1,300,000 VND
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW86,000 VND
AVERAGE520,000 VND
HIGH1,100,000 VND
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW330,000 VND
AVERAGE2,000,000 VND
HIGH4,300,000 VND
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW260,000 VND
AVERAGE1,600,000 VND
HIGH3,400,000 VND
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Vietnam typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 7,300,000 VND with expenditure ranging from 1,800,000 VND and 12,000,000 VND. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Vietnam ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 990,000 VND with 220,000 VND and 1,700,000 VND being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 500,000 VND to 3,500,000 VND on commuting with 2,100,000 VND being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Vietnam is 3,800,000 VND. The cost of groceries can range between 950,000 VND to 6,600,000 VND. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Vietnam allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 490,000 VND to 3,400,000 VND with 2,000,000 VND being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 290,000 VND to 2,000,000 VND with 1,200,000 VND being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 2,100,000 VND per month with 550,000 VND being the minimum spent amount and 3,600,000 VND being the maximum.

©copound