Cost Of Living in Virgin Islands (British)

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Virgin Islands (British)

Whether you're living in Virgin Islands (British) or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,500 USD
average per month
370 USD
Range
3,100 USD

Couple
2,800 USD
average per month
550 USD
Range
4,400 USD

Family
4,400 USD
average per month
1,300 USD
Range
6,600 USD

Student
1,100 USD
average per month
180 USD
Range
2,400 USD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Virgin Islands (British) is 1,500 USD. Expenses can range from 370 USD at the minimum level to 3,100 USD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Virgin Islands (British) is 2,800 USD. Expenditure can range from 550 USD to 4,400 USD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Virgin Islands (British) is 4,400 USD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,300 USD to 6,600 USD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Virgin Islands (British) is 1,100 USD. Students spend from 180 USD to 2,400 USD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Virgin Islands (British)

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.37 USD

0.37 USD
0.37 USD

Fast food
combo meal

3.7 USD

2.6 USD
6.1 USD

Restaurant
meal for one

12 USD

9.7 USD
15 USD

Fine dining
meal for one

31 USD

20 USD
37 USD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.31 USD

0.31 USD
0.31 USD

Cappuccino
or latte

2.5 USD

1.5 USD
3.7 USD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1.8 USD

1.5 USD
2.0 USD

Loaf of
bread

0.26 USD

0.23 USD
0.31 USD

12
eggs

1.8 USD

1.5 USD
2.3 USD

Fresh whole
chicken

4.3 USD

3.3 USD
5.3 USD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

4.8 USD

4.1 USD
6.1 USD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2.6 USD

2.3 USD
3.1 USD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.2 USD

1.0 USD
1.5 USD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.3 USD

1.2 USD
1.4 USD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.3 USD

1.1 USD
1.4 USD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1.8 USD

1.5 USD
3.7 USD

Average car
full tank

12 USD

9.2 USD
25 USD

Average car
1-day rental

12 USD

9.2 USD
18 USD

Average car
price

9,200 USD

4,600 USD
12,000 USD

Bus ticket
one way

0.46 USD

0.31 USD
0.92 USD

Car
Service

18 USD

12 USD
37 USD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

88 USD

22 USD
190 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

110 USD

28 USD
220 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

180 USD

39 USD
200 USD

Internet
and cable

18 USD

9.2 USD
25 USD

Mobile phone
charges

12 USD

7.4 USD
37 USD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

6.1 USD

4.6 USD
9.2 USD

One month gym
membership

18 USD

15 USD
37 USD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

15 USD

11 USD
23 USD

Woman
dress

14 USD

10 USD
46 USD

Woman
shoes

13 USD

9.7 USD
31 USD

Men
shoes

10 USD

8.4 USD
20 USD

Men
suit

11 USD

9.2 USD
61 USD

Regular
t-shirt

6.1 USD

4.6 USD
18 USD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

230 USD

150 USD
610 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

370 USD

230 USD
920 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

460 USD

310 USD
1,200 USD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

46,000 USD

31,000 USD
92,000 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

61,000 USD

37,000 USD
230,000 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

180,000 USD

61,000 USD
370,000 USD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

230 USD

180 USD
310 USD

Double
Bed

180 USD

120 USD
230 USD

Single
Bed

140 USD

110 USD
180 USD

Living
Room

260 USD

200 USD
920 USD

Dining
Table

120 USD

92 USD
230 USD

Sofa
or Couch

170 USD

120 USD
370 USD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

180 USD

120 USD
370 USD

Fridge
or Freezer

170 USD

110 USD
230 USD

Washing
Machine

200 USD

140 USD
370 USD

Stove
or Cooker

170 USD

130 USD
230 USD

Mobile
Phone

180 USD

150 USD
260 USD

Laptop
or Computer

200 USD

170 USD
370 USD

How do people spend their money in Virgin Islands (British)?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Virgin Islands (British)

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW130 USD
AVERAGE530 USD
HIGH1,100 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW22 USD
AVERAGE88 USD
HIGH190 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW29 USD
AVERAGE120 USD
HIGH250 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW59 USD
AVERAGE240 USD
HIGH500 USD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW33 USD
AVERAGE130 USD
HIGH280 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW18 USD
AVERAGE74 USD
HIGH160 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW7.4 USD
AVERAGE29 USD
HIGH62 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW66 USD
AVERAGE260 USD
HIGH560 USD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Virgin Islands (British)

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW180 USD
AVERAGE910 USD
HIGH1,500 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW28 USD
AVERAGE110 USD
HIGH220 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW66 USD
AVERAGE330 USD
HIGH530 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW77 USD
AVERAGE390 USD
HIGH620 USD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW61 USD
AVERAGE300 USD
HIGH490 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW33 USD
AVERAGE170 USD
HIGH260 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW11 USD
AVERAGE55 USD
HIGH88 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW94 USD
AVERAGE470 USD
HIGH750 USD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Virgin Islands (British)

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW410 USD
AVERAGE1,400 USD
HIGH2,100 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW39 USD
AVERAGE180 USD
HIGH200 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW100 USD
AVERAGE350 USD
HIGH530 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW230 USD
AVERAGE790 USD
HIGH1,200 USD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW100 USD
AVERAGE350 USD
HIGH530 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW64 USD
AVERAGE220 USD
HIGH330 USD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW180 USD
AVERAGE620 USD
HIGH930 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW150 USD
AVERAGE530 USD
HIGH790 USD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Virgin Islands (British)

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW44 USD
AVERAGE260 USD
HIGH570 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW7.4 USD
AVERAGE44 USD
HIGH96 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW13 USD
AVERAGE77 USD
HIGH170 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW37 USD
AVERAGE220 USD
HIGH480 USD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW11 USD
AVERAGE66 USD
HIGH140 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW9.2 USD
AVERAGE55 USD
HIGH120 USD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW35 USD
AVERAGE210 USD
HIGH450 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW28 USD
AVERAGE170 USD
HIGH360 USD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Virgin Islands (British) typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 780 USD with expenditure ranging from 190 USD and 1,300 USD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Virgin Islands (British) ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 100 USD with 24 USD and 180 USD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 53 USD to 370 USD on commuting with 220 USD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Virgin Islands (British) is 410 USD. The cost of groceries can range between 100 USD to 700 USD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Virgin Islands (British) allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 52 USD to 360 USD with 210 USD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 31 USD to 220 USD with 130 USD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 230 USD per month with 58 USD being the minimum spent amount and 380 USD being the maximum.

©copound