Cost Of Living in Western Sahara

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Western Sahara

Whether you're living in Western Sahara or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
8,300 MAD
average per month
2,100 MAD
Range
18,000 MAD

Couple
16,000 MAD
average per month
3,100 MAD
Range
25,000 MAD

Family
25,000 MAD
average per month
7,300 MAD
Range
37,000 MAD

Student
6,200 MAD
average per month
1,000 MAD
Range
14,000 MAD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Western Sahara is 8,300 MAD. Expenses can range from 2,100 MAD at the minimum level to 18,000 MAD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Western Sahara is 16,000 MAD. Expenditure can range from 3,100 MAD to 25,000 MAD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Western Sahara is 25,000 MAD per month. Families spend anywhere from 7,300 MAD to 37,000 MAD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Western Sahara is 6,200 MAD. Students spend from 1,000 MAD to 14,000 MAD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Western Sahara

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

2.1 MAD

2.1 MAD
2.1 MAD

Fast food
combo meal

21 MAD

15 MAD
35 MAD

Restaurant
meal for one

69 MAD

55 MAD
87 MAD

Fine dining
meal for one

170 MAD

120 MAD
210 MAD

Soda
Soft Drink

1.7 MAD

1.7 MAD
1.7 MAD

Cappuccino
or latte

14 MAD

8.7 MAD
21 MAD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

10 MAD

8.7 MAD
12 MAD

Loaf of
bread

1.5 MAD

1.3 MAD
1.7 MAD

12
eggs

10 MAD

8.7 MAD
13 MAD

Fresh whole
chicken

24 MAD

19 MAD
30 MAD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

27 MAD

23 MAD
35 MAD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

15 MAD

13 MAD
17 MAD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

6.9 MAD

5.8 MAD
8.7 MAD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

7.4 MAD

6.5 MAD
8.0 MAD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

7.2 MAD

6.3 MAD
8.0 MAD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

10 MAD

8.7 MAD
21 MAD

Average car
full tank

69 MAD

52 MAD
140 MAD

Average car
1-day rental

69 MAD

52 MAD
100 MAD

Average car
price

52,000 MAD

26,000 MAD
69,000 MAD

Bus ticket
one way

2.6 MAD

1.7 MAD
5.2 MAD

Car
Service

100 MAD

69 MAD
210 MAD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

500 MAD

120 MAD
1,100 MAD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

620 MAD

160 MAD
1,200 MAD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,000 MAD

220 MAD
1,100 MAD

Internet
and cable

100 MAD

52 MAD
140 MAD

Mobile phone
charges

69 MAD

42 MAD
210 MAD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

35 MAD

26 MAD
52 MAD

One month gym
membership

100 MAD

83 MAD
210 MAD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

87 MAD

61 MAD
130 MAD

Woman
dress

80 MAD

58 MAD
260 MAD

Woman
shoes

74 MAD

55 MAD
170 MAD

Men
shoes

58 MAD

47 MAD
120 MAD

Men
suit

65 MAD

52 MAD
350 MAD

Regular
t-shirt

35 MAD

26 MAD
100 MAD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,300 MAD

870 MAD
3,500 MAD

1-bedroom
apartment

2,100 MAD

1,300 MAD
5,200 MAD

2-bedroom
apartment

2,600 MAD

1,700 MAD
6,900 MAD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

260,000 MAD

170,000 MAD
520,000 MAD

1-bedroom
apartment

350,000 MAD

210,000 MAD
1,300,000 MAD

2-bedroom
apartment

1,000,000 MAD

350,000 MAD
2,100,000 MAD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,300 MAD

1,000 MAD
1,700 MAD

Double
Bed

1,000 MAD

690 MAD
1,300 MAD

Single
Bed

800 MAD

610 MAD
1,000 MAD

Living
Room

1,500 MAD

1,200 MAD
5,200 MAD

Dining
Table

690 MAD

520 MAD
1,300 MAD

Sofa
or Couch

950 MAD

690 MAD
2,100 MAD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,000 MAD

690 MAD
2,100 MAD

Fridge
or Freezer

950 MAD

610 MAD
1,300 MAD

Washing
Machine

1,200 MAD

800 MAD
2,100 MAD

Stove
or Cooker

950 MAD

740 MAD
1,300 MAD

Mobile
Phone

1,000 MAD

870 MAD
1,500 MAD

Laptop
or Computer

1,200 MAD

950 MAD
2,100 MAD

How do people spend their money in Western Sahara?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Western Sahara

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW750 MAD
AVERAGE3,000 MAD
HIGH6,400 MAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW120 MAD
AVERAGE500 MAD
HIGH1,100 MAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW170 MAD
AVERAGE670 MAD
HIGH1,400 MAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW330 MAD
AVERAGE1,300 MAD
HIGH2,800 MAD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW190 MAD
AVERAGE750 MAD
HIGH1,600 MAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW100 MAD
AVERAGE420 MAD
HIGH890 MAD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW42 MAD
AVERAGE170 MAD
HIGH350 MAD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW370 MAD
AVERAGE1,500 MAD
HIGH3,200 MAD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Western Sahara

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,000 MAD
AVERAGE5,200 MAD
HIGH8,200 MAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW160 MAD
AVERAGE620 MAD
HIGH1,200 MAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW370 MAD
AVERAGE1,900 MAD
HIGH3,000 MAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW440 MAD
AVERAGE2,200 MAD
HIGH3,500 MAD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW340 MAD
AVERAGE1,700 MAD
HIGH2,700 MAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW190 MAD
AVERAGE940 MAD
HIGH1,500 MAD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW62 MAD
AVERAGE310 MAD
HIGH500 MAD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW530 MAD
AVERAGE2,700 MAD
HIGH4,200 MAD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Western Sahara

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW2,300 MAD
AVERAGE8,000 MAD
HIGH12,000 MAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW220 MAD
AVERAGE1,000 MAD
HIGH1,100 MAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW580 MAD
AVERAGE2,000 MAD
HIGH3,000 MAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,300 MAD
AVERAGE4,500 MAD
HIGH6,700 MAD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW580 MAD
AVERAGE2,000 MAD
HIGH3,000 MAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW360 MAD
AVERAGE1,200 MAD
HIGH1,900 MAD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,000 MAD
AVERAGE3,500 MAD
HIGH5,200 MAD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW870 MAD
AVERAGE3,000 MAD
HIGH4,500 MAD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Western Sahara

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW250 MAD
AVERAGE1,500 MAD
HIGH3,200 MAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW42 MAD
AVERAGE250 MAD
HIGH540 MAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW73 MAD
AVERAGE440 MAD
HIGH950 MAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW210 MAD
AVERAGE1,200 MAD
HIGH2,700 MAD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW62 MAD
AVERAGE370 MAD
HIGH810 MAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW52 MAD
AVERAGE310 MAD
HIGH680 MAD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW200 MAD
AVERAGE1,200 MAD
HIGH2,600 MAD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW160 MAD
AVERAGE940 MAD
HIGH2,000 MAD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Western Sahara typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 4,400 MAD with expenditure ranging from 1,100 MAD and 7,500 MAD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Western Sahara ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 590 MAD with 140 MAD and 990 MAD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 300 MAD to 2,100 MAD on commuting with 1,200 MAD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Western Sahara is 2,300 MAD. The cost of groceries can range between 570 MAD to 3,900 MAD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Western Sahara allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 290 MAD to 2,000 MAD with 1,200 MAD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 180 MAD to 1,200 MAD with 730 MAD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,300 MAD per month with 330 MAD being the minimum spent amount and 2,200 MAD being the maximum.

©copound