Cost Of Living in Yemen

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Yemen

Whether you're living in Yemen or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
27,000 YER
average per month
6,700 YER
Range
57,000 YER

Couple
50,000 YER
average per month
10,000 YER
Range
80,000 YER

Family
80,000 YER
average per month
23,000 YER
Range
120,000 YER

Student
20,000 YER
average per month
3,300 YER
Range
43,000 YER
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Yemen is 27,000 YER. Expenses can range from 6,700 YER at the minimum level to 57,000 YER at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Yemen is 50,000 YER. Expenditure can range from 10,000 YER to 80,000 YER per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Yemen is 80,000 YER per month. Families spend anywhere from 23,000 YER to 120,000 YER.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Yemen is 20,000 YER. Students spend from 3,300 YER to 43,000 YER per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Yemen

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

6.7 YER

6.7 YER
6.7 YER

Fast food
combo meal

67 YER

48 YER
110 YER

Restaurant
meal for one

220 YER

180 YER
280 YER

Fine dining
meal for one

560 YER

370 YER
670 YER

Soda
Soft Drink

5.6 YER

5.6 YER
5.6 YER

Cappuccino
or latte

45 YER

28 YER
67 YER

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

33 YER

28 YER
37 YER

Loaf of
bread

4.8 YER

4.2 YER
5.6 YER

12
eggs

33 YER

28 YER
42 YER

Fresh whole
chicken

78 YER

61 YER
95 YER

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

88 YER

74 YER
110 YER

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

48 YER

42 YER
56 YER

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

22 YER

19 YER
28 YER

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

24 YER

21 YER
26 YER

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

23 YER

20 YER
26 YER

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

33 YER

28 YER
67 YER

Average car
full tank

220 YER

170 YER
450 YER

Average car
1-day rental

220 YER

170 YER
330 YER

Average car
price

170,000 YER

84,000 YER
220,000 YER

Bus ticket
one way

8.4 YER

5.6 YER
17 YER

Car
Service

330 YER

220 YER
670 YER

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,600 YER

400 YER
3,400 YER

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

2,000 YER

500 YER
4,000 YER

Electricity
and water bill
Family

3,200 YER

700 YER
3,600 YER

Internet
and cable

330 YER

170 YER
450 YER

Mobile phone
charges

220 YER

130 YER
670 YER

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

110 YER

84 YER
170 YER

One month gym
membership

330 YER

270 YER
670 YER

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

280 YER

200 YER
420 YER

Woman
dress

260 YER

190 YER
840 YER

Woman
shoes

240 YER

180 YER
560 YER

Men
shoes

190 YER

150 YER
370 YER

Men
suit

210 YER

170 YER
1,100 YER

Regular
t-shirt

110 YER

84 YER
330 YER

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

4,200 YER

2,800 YER
11,000 YER

1-bedroom
apartment

6,700 YER

4,200 YER
17,000 YER

2-bedroom
apartment

8,400 YER

5,600 YER
22,000 YER

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

840,000 YER

560,000 YER
1,700,000 YER

1-bedroom
apartment

1,100,000 YER

670,000 YER
4,200,000 YER

2-bedroom
apartment

3,300,000 YER

1,100,000 YER
6,700,000 YER

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

4,200 YER

3,300 YER
5,600 YER

Double
Bed

3,300 YER

2,200 YER
4,200 YER

Single
Bed

2,600 YER

2,000 YER
3,300 YER

Living
Room

4,800 YER

3,700 YER
17,000 YER

Dining
Table

2,200 YER

1,700 YER
4,200 YER

Sofa
or Couch

3,000 YER

2,200 YER
6,700 YER

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

3,300 YER

2,200 YER
6,700 YER

Fridge
or Freezer

3,000 YER

2,000 YER
4,200 YER

Washing
Machine

3,700 YER

2,600 YER
6,700 YER

Stove
or Cooker

3,000 YER

2,400 YER
4,200 YER

Mobile
Phone

3,300 YER

2,800 YER
4,800 YER

Laptop
or Computer

3,700 YER

3,000 YER
6,700 YER

How do people spend their money in Yemen?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Yemen

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW2,400 YER
AVERAGE9,600 YER
HIGH20,000 YER
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW400 YER
AVERAGE1,600 YER
HIGH3,400 YER
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW530 YER
AVERAGE2,100 YER
HIGH4,500 YER
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,100 YER
AVERAGE4,300 YER
HIGH9,100 YER
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW600 YER
AVERAGE2,400 YER
HIGH5,100 YER
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW330 YER
AVERAGE1,300 YER
HIGH2,800 YER
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW130 YER
AVERAGE530 YER
HIGH1,100 YER
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,200 YER
AVERAGE4,800 YER
HIGH10,000 YER
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Yemen

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW3,300 YER
AVERAGE17,000 YER
HIGH26,000 YER
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW500 YER
AVERAGE2,000 YER
HIGH4,000 YER
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,200 YER
AVERAGE6,000 YER
HIGH9,600 YER
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,400 YER
AVERAGE7,000 YER
HIGH11,000 YER
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,100 YER
AVERAGE5,500 YER
HIGH8,800 YER
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW600 YER
AVERAGE3,000 YER
HIGH4,800 YER
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW200 YER
AVERAGE1,000 YER
HIGH1,600 YER
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,700 YER
AVERAGE8,500 YER
HIGH14,000 YER
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Yemen

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW7,500 YER
AVERAGE26,000 YER
HIGH39,000 YER
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW700 YER
AVERAGE3,200 YER
HIGH3,600 YER
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,900 YER
AVERAGE6,400 YER
HIGH9,600 YER
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW4,200 YER
AVERAGE14,000 YER
HIGH22,000 YER
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,900 YER
AVERAGE6,400 YER
HIGH9,600 YER
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,200 YER
AVERAGE4,000 YER
HIGH6,000 YER
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW3,300 YER
AVERAGE11,000 YER
HIGH17,000 YER
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW2,800 YER
AVERAGE9,600 YER
HIGH14,000 YER
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Yemen

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW800 YER
AVERAGE4,800 YER
HIGH10,000 YER
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW130 YER
AVERAGE800 YER
HIGH1,700 YER
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW230 YER
AVERAGE1,400 YER
HIGH3,000 YER
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW670 YER
AVERAGE4,000 YER
HIGH8,700 YER
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW200 YER
AVERAGE1,200 YER
HIGH2,600 YER
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW170 YER
AVERAGE1,000 YER
HIGH2,200 YER
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW640 YER
AVERAGE3,800 YER
HIGH8,300 YER
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW500 YER
AVERAGE3,000 YER
HIGH6,500 YER
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Yemen typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 14,000 YER with expenditure ranging from 3,500 YER and 24,000 YER. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Yemen ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,900 YER with 430 YER and 3,200 YER being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 960 YER to 6,700 YER on commuting with 4,000 YER being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Yemen is 7,400 YER. The cost of groceries can range between 1,800 YER to 13,000 YER. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Yemen allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 940 YER to 6,500 YER with 3,900 YER being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 570 YER to 4,000 YER with 2,300 YER being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 4,100 YER per month with 1,100 YER being the minimum spent amount and 7,000 YER being the maximum.

Sanaa   Taizz   Aden  
©copound