Cost Of Living in Zambia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Zambia

Whether you're living in Zambia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
4,800 ZMK
average per month
1,200 ZMK
Range
10,000 ZMK

Couple
9,000 ZMK
average per month
1,800 ZMK
Range
14,000 ZMK

Family
14,000 ZMK
average per month
4,200 ZMK
Range
22,000 ZMK

Student
3,600 ZMK
average per month
600 ZMK
Range
7,800 ZMK
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Zambia is 4,800 ZMK. Expenses can range from 1,200 ZMK at the minimum level to 10,000 ZMK at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Zambia is 9,000 ZMK. Expenditure can range from 1,800 ZMK to 14,000 ZMK per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Zambia is 14,000 ZMK per month. Families spend anywhere from 4,200 ZMK to 22,000 ZMK.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Zambia is 3,600 ZMK. Students spend from 600 ZMK to 7,800 ZMK per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Zambia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.2 ZMK

1.2 ZMK
1.2 ZMK

Fast food
combo meal

12 ZMK

8.6 ZMK
20 ZMK

Restaurant
meal for one

40 ZMK

32 ZMK
50 ZMK

Fine dining
meal for one

100 ZMK

67 ZMK
120 ZMK

Soda
Soft Drink

1.0 ZMK

1.0 ZMK
1.0 ZMK

Cappuccino
or latte

8.0 ZMK

5.0 ZMK
12 ZMK

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

6.0 ZMK

5.0 ZMK
6.7 ZMK

Loaf of
bread

0.86 ZMK

0.75 ZMK
1.0 ZMK

12
eggs

6.0 ZMK

5.0 ZMK
7.5 ZMK

Fresh whole
chicken

14 ZMK

11 ZMK
17 ZMK

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

16 ZMK

13 ZMK
20 ZMK

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

8.6 ZMK

7.5 ZMK
10 ZMK

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

4.0 ZMK

3.4 ZMK
5.0 ZMK

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

4.3 ZMK

3.8 ZMK
4.6 ZMK

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

4.2 ZMK

3.7 ZMK
4.6 ZMK

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

6.0 ZMK

5.0 ZMK
12 ZMK

Average car
full tank

40 ZMK

30 ZMK
80 ZMK

Average car
1-day rental

40 ZMK

30 ZMK
60 ZMK

Average car
price

30,000 ZMK

15,000 ZMK
40,000 ZMK

Bus ticket
one way

1.5 ZMK

1.0 ZMK
3.0 ZMK

Car
Service

60 ZMK

40 ZMK
120 ZMK

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

290 ZMK

72 ZMK
610 ZMK

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

360 ZMK

90 ZMK
720 ZMK

Electricity
and water bill
Family

580 ZMK

130 ZMK
650 ZMK

Internet
and cable

60 ZMK

30 ZMK
80 ZMK

Mobile phone
charges

40 ZMK

24 ZMK
120 ZMK

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

20 ZMK

15 ZMK
30 ZMK

One month gym
membership

60 ZMK

48 ZMK
120 ZMK

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

50 ZMK

35 ZMK
75 ZMK

Woman
dress

46 ZMK

33 ZMK
150 ZMK

Woman
shoes

43 ZMK

32 ZMK
100 ZMK

Men
shoes

33 ZMK

27 ZMK
67 ZMK

Men
suit

38 ZMK

30 ZMK
200 ZMK

Regular
t-shirt

20 ZMK

15 ZMK
60 ZMK

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

750 ZMK

500 ZMK
2,000 ZMK

1-bedroom
apartment

1,200 ZMK

750 ZMK
3,000 ZMK

2-bedroom
apartment

1,500 ZMK

1,000 ZMK
4,000 ZMK

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

150,000 ZMK

100,000 ZMK
300,000 ZMK

1-bedroom
apartment

200,000 ZMK

120,000 ZMK
750,000 ZMK

2-bedroom
apartment

600,000 ZMK

200,000 ZMK
1,200,000 ZMK

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

750 ZMK

600 ZMK
1,000 ZMK

Double
Bed

600 ZMK

400 ZMK
750 ZMK

Single
Bed

460 ZMK

350 ZMK
600 ZMK

Living
Room

860 ZMK

670 ZMK
3,000 ZMK

Dining
Table

400 ZMK

300 ZMK
750 ZMK

Sofa
or Couch

550 ZMK

400 ZMK
1,200 ZMK

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

600 ZMK

400 ZMK
1,200 ZMK

Fridge
or Freezer

550 ZMK

350 ZMK
750 ZMK

Washing
Machine

670 ZMK

460 ZMK
1,200 ZMK

Stove
or Cooker

550 ZMK

430 ZMK
750 ZMK

Mobile
Phone

600 ZMK

500 ZMK
860 ZMK

Laptop
or Computer

670 ZMK

550 ZMK
1,200 ZMK

How do people spend their money in Zambia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Zambia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW430 ZMK
AVERAGE1,700 ZMK
HIGH3,700 ZMK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW72 ZMK
AVERAGE290 ZMK
HIGH610 ZMK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW96 ZMK
AVERAGE390 ZMK
HIGH820 ZMK
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW190 ZMK
AVERAGE770 ZMK
HIGH1,600 ZMK
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW110 ZMK
AVERAGE430 ZMK
HIGH920 ZMK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW60 ZMK
AVERAGE240 ZMK
HIGH510 ZMK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW24 ZMK
AVERAGE96 ZMK
HIGH200 ZMK
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW220 ZMK
AVERAGE870 ZMK
HIGH1,800 ZMK
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Zambia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW600 ZMK
AVERAGE3,000 ZMK
HIGH4,800 ZMK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW90 ZMK
AVERAGE360 ZMK
HIGH720 ZMK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW220 ZMK
AVERAGE1,100 ZMK
HIGH1,700 ZMK
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW250 ZMK
AVERAGE1,300 ZMK
HIGH2,000 ZMK
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW200 ZMK
AVERAGE990 ZMK
HIGH1,600 ZMK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW110 ZMK
AVERAGE540 ZMK
HIGH870 ZMK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW36 ZMK
AVERAGE180 ZMK
HIGH290 ZMK
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW310 ZMK
AVERAGE1,500 ZMK
HIGH2,500 ZMK
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Zambia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,300 ZMK
AVERAGE4,600 ZMK
HIGH6,900 ZMK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW130 ZMK
AVERAGE580 ZMK
HIGH650 ZMK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW340 ZMK
AVERAGE1,200 ZMK
HIGH1,700 ZMK
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW760 ZMK
AVERAGE2,600 ZMK
HIGH3,900 ZMK
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW340 ZMK
AVERAGE1,200 ZMK
HIGH1,700 ZMK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW210 ZMK
AVERAGE720 ZMK
HIGH1,100 ZMK
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW590 ZMK
AVERAGE2,000 ZMK
HIGH3,000 ZMK
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW510 ZMK
AVERAGE1,700 ZMK
HIGH2,600 ZMK
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Zambia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW140 ZMK
AVERAGE870 ZMK
HIGH1,900 ZMK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW24 ZMK
AVERAGE140 ZMK
HIGH310 ZMK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW42 ZMK
AVERAGE250 ZMK
HIGH550 ZMK
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW120 ZMK
AVERAGE720 ZMK
HIGH1,600 ZMK
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW36 ZMK
AVERAGE220 ZMK
HIGH470 ZMK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW30 ZMK
AVERAGE180 ZMK
HIGH390 ZMK
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW110 ZMK
AVERAGE690 ZMK
HIGH1,500 ZMK
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW90 ZMK
AVERAGE540 ZMK
HIGH1,200 ZMK
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Zambia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,600 ZMK with expenditure ranging from 630 ZMK and 4,300 ZMK. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Zambia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 340 ZMK with 78 ZMK and 580 ZMK being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 170 ZMK to 1,200 ZMK on commuting with 720 ZMK being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Zambia is 1,300 ZMK. The cost of groceries can range between 330 ZMK to 2,300 ZMK. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Zambia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 170 ZMK to 1,200 ZMK with 700 ZMK being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 100 ZMK to 710 ZMK with 420 ZMK being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 750 ZMK per month with 190 ZMK being the minimum spent amount and 1,300 ZMK being the maximum.

Lusaka  
©copound