Cost Of Living in Zimbabwe

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Zimbabwe

Whether you're living in Zimbabwe or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
170,000 ZWD
average per month
44,000 ZWD
Range
370,000 ZWD

Couple
330,000 ZWD
average per month
65,000 ZWD
Range
520,000 ZWD

Family
520,000 ZWD
average per month
150,000 ZWD
Range
780,000 ZWD

Student
130,000 ZWD
average per month
22,000 ZWD
Range
280,000 ZWD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Zimbabwe is 170,000 ZWD. Expenses can range from 44,000 ZWD at the minimum level to 370,000 ZWD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Zimbabwe is 330,000 ZWD. Expenditure can range from 65,000 ZWD to 520,000 ZWD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Zimbabwe is 520,000 ZWD per month. Families spend anywhere from 150,000 ZWD to 780,000 ZWD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Zimbabwe is 130,000 ZWD. Students spend from 22,000 ZWD to 280,000 ZWD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Zimbabwe

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

44 ZWD

44 ZWD
44 ZWD

Fast food
combo meal

440 ZWD

310 ZWD
730 ZWD

Restaurant
meal for one

1,500 ZWD

1,100 ZWD
1,800 ZWD

Fine dining
meal for one

3,600 ZWD

2,400 ZWD
4,400 ZWD

Soda
Soft Drink

36 ZWD

36 ZWD
36 ZWD

Cappuccino
or latte

290 ZWD

180 ZWD
440 ZWD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

220 ZWD

180 ZWD
240 ZWD

Loaf of
bread

31 ZWD

27 ZWD
36 ZWD

12
eggs

220 ZWD

180 ZWD
270 ZWD

Fresh whole
chicken

510 ZWD

400 ZWD
620 ZWD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

570 ZWD

480 ZWD
730 ZWD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

310 ZWD

270 ZWD
360 ZWD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

150 ZWD

120 ZWD
180 ZWD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

160 ZWD

140 ZWD
170 ZWD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

150 ZWD

130 ZWD
170 ZWD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

220 ZWD

180 ZWD
440 ZWD

Average car
full tank

1,500 ZWD

1,100 ZWD
2,900 ZWD

Average car
1-day rental

1,500 ZWD

1,100 ZWD
2,200 ZWD

Average car
price

1,100,000 ZWD

540,000 ZWD
1,500,000 ZWD

Bus ticket
one way

54 ZWD

36 ZWD
110 ZWD

Car
Service

2,200 ZWD

1,500 ZWD
4,400 ZWD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

10,000 ZWD

2,600 ZWD
22,000 ZWD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

13,000 ZWD

3,300 ZWD
26,000 ZWD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

21,000 ZWD

4,600 ZWD
23,000 ZWD

Internet
and cable

2,200 ZWD

1,100 ZWD
2,900 ZWD

Mobile phone
charges

1,500 ZWD

870 ZWD
4,400 ZWD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

730 ZWD

540 ZWD
1,100 ZWD

One month gym
membership

2,200 ZWD

1,700 ZWD
4,400 ZWD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

1,800 ZWD

1,300 ZWD
2,700 ZWD

Woman
dress

1,700 ZWD

1,200 ZWD
5,400 ZWD

Woman
shoes

1,600 ZWD

1,100 ZWD
3,600 ZWD

Men
shoes

1,200 ZWD

990 ZWD
2,400 ZWD

Men
suit

1,400 ZWD

1,100 ZWD
7,300 ZWD

Regular
t-shirt

730 ZWD

540 ZWD
2,200 ZWD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

27,000 ZWD

18,000 ZWD
73,000 ZWD

1-bedroom
apartment

44,000 ZWD

27,000 ZWD
110,000 ZWD

2-bedroom
apartment

54,000 ZWD

36,000 ZWD
150,000 ZWD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

5,400,000 ZWD

3,600,000 ZWD
11,000,000 ZWD

1-bedroom
apartment

7,300,000 ZWD

4,400,000 ZWD
27,000,000 ZWD

2-bedroom
apartment

22,000,000 ZWD

7,300,000 ZWD
44,000,000 ZWD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

27,000 ZWD

22,000 ZWD
36,000 ZWD

Double
Bed

22,000 ZWD

15,000 ZWD
27,000 ZWD

Single
Bed

17,000 ZWD

13,000 ZWD
22,000 ZWD

Living
Room

31,000 ZWD

24,000 ZWD
110,000 ZWD

Dining
Table

15,000 ZWD

11,000 ZWD
27,000 ZWD

Sofa
or Couch

20,000 ZWD

15,000 ZWD
44,000 ZWD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

22,000 ZWD

15,000 ZWD
44,000 ZWD

Fridge
or Freezer

20,000 ZWD

13,000 ZWD
27,000 ZWD

Washing
Machine

24,000 ZWD

17,000 ZWD
44,000 ZWD

Stove
or Cooker

20,000 ZWD

16,000 ZWD
27,000 ZWD

Mobile
Phone

22,000 ZWD

18,000 ZWD
31,000 ZWD

Laptop
or Computer

24,000 ZWD

20,000 ZWD
44,000 ZWD

How do people spend their money in Zimbabwe?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Zimbabwe

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW16,000 ZWD
AVERAGE63,000 ZWD
HIGH130,000 ZWD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,600 ZWD
AVERAGE10,000 ZWD
HIGH22,000 ZWD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW3,500 ZWD
AVERAGE14,000 ZWD
HIGH30,000 ZWD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW7,000 ZWD
AVERAGE28,000 ZWD
HIGH59,000 ZWD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW3,900 ZWD
AVERAGE16,000 ZWD
HIGH33,000 ZWD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,200 ZWD
AVERAGE8,700 ZWD
HIGH18,000 ZWD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW870 ZWD
AVERAGE3,500 ZWD
HIGH7,400 ZWD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW7,800 ZWD
AVERAGE31,000 ZWD
HIGH67,000 ZWD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Zimbabwe

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW22,000 ZWD
AVERAGE110,000 ZWD
HIGH170,000 ZWD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW3,300 ZWD
AVERAGE13,000 ZWD
HIGH26,000 ZWD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW7,800 ZWD
AVERAGE39,000 ZWD
HIGH63,000 ZWD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW9,100 ZWD
AVERAGE46,000 ZWD
HIGH73,000 ZWD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW7,200 ZWD
AVERAGE36,000 ZWD
HIGH57,000 ZWD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW3,900 ZWD
AVERAGE20,000 ZWD
HIGH31,000 ZWD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,300 ZWD
AVERAGE6,500 ZWD
HIGH10,000 ZWD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW11,000 ZWD
AVERAGE55,000 ZWD
HIGH89,000 ZWD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Zimbabwe

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW49,000 ZWD
AVERAGE170,000 ZWD
HIGH250,000 ZWD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW4,600 ZWD
AVERAGE21,000 ZWD
HIGH23,000 ZWD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW12,000 ZWD
AVERAGE42,000 ZWD
HIGH63,000 ZWD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW27,000 ZWD
AVERAGE94,000 ZWD
HIGH140,000 ZWD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW12,000 ZWD
AVERAGE42,000 ZWD
HIGH63,000 ZWD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW7,600 ZWD
AVERAGE26,000 ZWD
HIGH39,000 ZWD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW21,000 ZWD
AVERAGE73,000 ZWD
HIGH110,000 ZWD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW18,000 ZWD
AVERAGE63,000 ZWD
HIGH94,000 ZWD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Zimbabwe

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW5,200 ZWD
AVERAGE31,000 ZWD
HIGH68,000 ZWD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW870 ZWD
AVERAGE5,200 ZWD
HIGH11,000 ZWD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW1,500 ZWD
AVERAGE9,100 ZWD
HIGH20,000 ZWD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW4,400 ZWD
AVERAGE26,000 ZWD
HIGH57,000 ZWD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW1,300 ZWD
AVERAGE7,800 ZWD
HIGH17,000 ZWD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,100 ZWD
AVERAGE6,500 ZWD
HIGH14,000 ZWD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW4,100 ZWD
AVERAGE25,000 ZWD
HIGH54,000 ZWD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW3,300 ZWD
AVERAGE20,000 ZWD
HIGH42,000 ZWD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Zimbabwe typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 92,000 ZWD with expenditure ranging from 23,000 ZWD and 160,000 ZWD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Zimbabwe ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 12,000 ZWD with 2,800 ZWD and 21,000 ZWD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 6,300 ZWD to 44,000 ZWD on commuting with 26,000 ZWD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Zimbabwe is 48,000 ZWD. The cost of groceries can range between 12,000 ZWD to 82,000 ZWD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Zimbabwe allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 6,100 ZWD to 43,000 ZWD with 25,000 ZWD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 3,700 ZWD to 26,000 ZWD with 15,000 ZWD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 27,000 ZWD per month with 6,900 ZWD being the minimum spent amount and 45,000 ZWD being the maximum.

©copound