Cost Of Living in Australia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Australia

Whether you're living in Australia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
6,100 AUD
average per month
1,500 AUD
Range
13,000 AUD

Couple
11,000 AUD
average per month
2,300 AUD
Range
18,000 AUD

Family
18,000 AUD
average per month
5,300 AUD
Range
27,000 AUD

Student
4,600 AUD
average per month
760 AUD
Range
9,900 AUD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Australia is 6,100 AUD. Expenses can range from 1,500 AUD at the minimum level to 13,000 AUD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Australia is 11,000 AUD. Expenditure can range from 2,300 AUD to 18,000 AUD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Australia is 18,000 AUD per month. Families spend anywhere from 5,300 AUD to 27,000 AUD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Australia is 4,600 AUD. Students spend from 760 AUD to 9,900 AUD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Australia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.5 AUD

1.5 AUD
1.5 AUD

Fast food
combo meal

15 AUD

11 AUD
25 AUD

Restaurant
meal for one

51 AUD

40 AUD
63 AUD

Fine dining
meal for one

130 AUD

84 AUD
150 AUD

Soda
Soft Drink

1.3 AUD

1.3 AUD
1.3 AUD

Cappuccino
or latte

10 AUD

6.3 AUD
15 AUD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

7.6 AUD

6.3 AUD
8.4 AUD

Loaf of
bread

1.1 AUD

0.95 AUD
1.3 AUD

12
eggs

7.6 AUD

6.3 AUD
9.5 AUD

Fresh whole
chicken

18 AUD

14 AUD
22 AUD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

20 AUD

17 AUD
25 AUD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

11 AUD

9.5 AUD
13 AUD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

5.1 AUD

4.2 AUD
6.3 AUD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

5.4 AUD

4.8 AUD
5.8 AUD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

5.2 AUD

4.6 AUD
5.8 AUD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

7.6 AUD

6.3 AUD
15 AUD

Average car
full tank

51 AUD

38 AUD
100 AUD

Average car
1-day rental

51 AUD

38 AUD
76 AUD

Average car
price

38,000 AUD

19,000 AUD
51,000 AUD

Bus ticket
one way

1.9 AUD

1.3 AUD
3.8 AUD

Car
Service

76 AUD

51 AUD
150 AUD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

360 AUD

91 AUD
770 AUD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

460 AUD

110 AUD
910 AUD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

730 AUD

160 AUD
820 AUD

Internet
and cable

76 AUD

38 AUD
100 AUD

Mobile phone
charges

51 AUD

30 AUD
150 AUD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

25 AUD

19 AUD
38 AUD

One month gym
membership

76 AUD

61 AUD
150 AUD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

63 AUD

45 AUD
95 AUD

Woman
dress

58 AUD

42 AUD
190 AUD

Woman
shoes

54 AUD

40 AUD
130 AUD

Men
shoes

42 AUD

35 AUD
84 AUD

Men
suit

47 AUD

38 AUD
250 AUD

Regular
t-shirt

25 AUD

19 AUD
76 AUD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

950 AUD

630 AUD
2,500 AUD

1-bedroom
apartment

1,500 AUD

950 AUD
3,800 AUD

2-bedroom
apartment

1,900 AUD

1,300 AUD
5,100 AUD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

190,000 AUD

130,000 AUD
380,000 AUD

1-bedroom
apartment

250,000 AUD

150,000 AUD
950,000 AUD

2-bedroom
apartment

760,000 AUD

250,000 AUD
1,500,000 AUD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

950 AUD

760 AUD
1,300 AUD

Double
Bed

760 AUD

510 AUD
950 AUD

Single
Bed

580 AUD

450 AUD
760 AUD

Living
Room

1,100 AUD

840 AUD
3,800 AUD

Dining
Table

510 AUD

380 AUD
950 AUD

Sofa
or Couch

690 AUD

510 AUD
1,500 AUD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

760 AUD

510 AUD
1,500 AUD

Fridge
or Freezer

690 AUD

450 AUD
950 AUD

Washing
Machine

840 AUD

580 AUD
1,500 AUD

Stove
or Cooker

690 AUD

540 AUD
950 AUD

Mobile
Phone

760 AUD

630 AUD
1,100 AUD

Laptop
or Computer

840 AUD

690 AUD
1,500 AUD

How do people spend their money in Australia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Australia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW550 AUD
AVERAGE2,200 AUD
HIGH4,600 AUD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW91 AUD
AVERAGE360 AUD
HIGH770 AUD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW120 AUD
AVERAGE490 AUD
HIGH1,000 AUD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW240 AUD
AVERAGE970 AUD
HIGH2,100 AUD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW140 AUD
AVERAGE550 AUD
HIGH1,200 AUD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW76 AUD
AVERAGE300 AUD
HIGH650 AUD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW30 AUD
AVERAGE120 AUD
HIGH260 AUD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW270 AUD
AVERAGE1,100 AUD
HIGH2,300 AUD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Australia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW750 AUD
AVERAGE3,800 AUD
HIGH6,000 AUD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW110 AUD
AVERAGE460 AUD
HIGH910 AUD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW270 AUD
AVERAGE1,400 AUD
HIGH2,200 AUD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW320 AUD
AVERAGE1,600 AUD
HIGH2,600 AUD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW250 AUD
AVERAGE1,300 AUD
HIGH2,000 AUD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW140 AUD
AVERAGE680 AUD
HIGH1,100 AUD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW46 AUD
AVERAGE230 AUD
HIGH360 AUD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW390 AUD
AVERAGE1,900 AUD
HIGH3,100 AUD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Australia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,700 AUD
AVERAGE5,800 AUD
HIGH8,800 AUD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW160 AUD
AVERAGE730 AUD
HIGH820 AUD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW430 AUD
AVERAGE1,500 AUD
HIGH2,200 AUD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW960 AUD
AVERAGE3,300 AUD
HIGH4,900 AUD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW430 AUD
AVERAGE1,500 AUD
HIGH2,200 AUD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW270 AUD
AVERAGE910 AUD
HIGH1,400 AUD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW740 AUD
AVERAGE2,600 AUD
HIGH3,800 AUD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW640 AUD
AVERAGE2,200 AUD
HIGH3,300 AUD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Australia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW180 AUD
AVERAGE1,100 AUD
HIGH2,400 AUD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW30 AUD
AVERAGE180 AUD
HIGH390 AUD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW53 AUD
AVERAGE320 AUD
HIGH690 AUD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW150 AUD
AVERAGE910 AUD
HIGH2,000 AUD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW46 AUD
AVERAGE270 AUD
HIGH590 AUD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW38 AUD
AVERAGE230 AUD
HIGH490 AUD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW140 AUD
AVERAGE870 AUD
HIGH1,900 AUD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW110 AUD
AVERAGE680 AUD
HIGH1,500 AUD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Australia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,200 AUD with expenditure ranging from 800 AUD and 5,400 AUD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Australia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 430 AUD with 99 AUD and 730 AUD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 220 AUD to 1,500 AUD on commuting with 910 AUD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Australia is 1,700 AUD. The cost of groceries can range between 420 AUD to 2,900 AUD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Australia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 210 AUD to 1,500 AUD with 880 AUD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 130 AUD to 900 AUD with 530 AUD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 940 AUD per month with 240 AUD being the minimum spent amount and 1,600 AUD being the maximum.

©copound