Cost Of Living in Canada

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Canada

Whether you're living in Canada or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
8,000 CAD
average per month
2,000 CAD
Range
17,000 CAD

Couple
15,000 CAD
average per month
3,000 CAD
Range
24,000 CAD

Family
24,000 CAD
average per month
7,000 CAD
Range
36,000 CAD

Student
6,000 CAD
average per month
1,000 CAD
Range
13,000 CAD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Canada is 8,000 CAD. Expenses can range from 2,000 CAD at the minimum level to 17,000 CAD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Canada is 15,000 CAD. Expenditure can range from 3,000 CAD to 24,000 CAD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Canada is 24,000 CAD per month. Families spend anywhere from 7,000 CAD to 36,000 CAD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Canada is 6,000 CAD. Students spend from 1,000 CAD to 13,000 CAD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Canada

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

2.0 CAD

2.0 CAD
2.0 CAD

Fast food
combo meal

20 CAD

14 CAD
33 CAD

Restaurant
meal for one

67 CAD

53 CAD
83 CAD

Fine dining
meal for one

170 CAD

110 CAD
200 CAD

Soda
Soft Drink

1.7 CAD

1.7 CAD
1.7 CAD

Cappuccino
or latte

13 CAD

8.3 CAD
20 CAD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

10 CAD

8.3 CAD
11 CAD

Loaf of
bread

1.4 CAD

1.3 CAD
1.7 CAD

12
eggs

10 CAD

8.3 CAD
13 CAD

Fresh whole
chicken

23 CAD

18 CAD
29 CAD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

26 CAD

22 CAD
33 CAD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

14 CAD

13 CAD
17 CAD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

6.7 CAD

5.6 CAD
8.3 CAD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

7.1 CAD

6.3 CAD
7.7 CAD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

6.9 CAD

6.1 CAD
7.7 CAD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

10 CAD

8.3 CAD
20 CAD

Average car
full tank

67 CAD

50 CAD
130 CAD

Average car
1-day rental

67 CAD

50 CAD
100 CAD

Average car
price

50,000 CAD

25,000 CAD
67,000 CAD

Bus ticket
one way

2.5 CAD

1.7 CAD
5.0 CAD

Car
Service

100 CAD

67 CAD
200 CAD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

480 CAD

120 CAD
1,000 CAD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

600 CAD

150 CAD
1,200 CAD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

960 CAD

210 CAD
1,100 CAD

Internet
and cable

100 CAD

50 CAD
130 CAD

Mobile phone
charges

67 CAD

40 CAD
200 CAD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

33 CAD

25 CAD
50 CAD

One month gym
membership

100 CAD

80 CAD
200 CAD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

83 CAD

59 CAD
120 CAD

Woman
dress

77 CAD

56 CAD
250 CAD

Woman
shoes

71 CAD

53 CAD
170 CAD

Men
shoes

56 CAD

45 CAD
110 CAD

Men
suit

62 CAD

50 CAD
330 CAD

Regular
t-shirt

33 CAD

25 CAD
100 CAD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,200 CAD

830 CAD
3,300 CAD

1-bedroom
apartment

2,000 CAD

1,200 CAD
5,000 CAD

2-bedroom
apartment

2,500 CAD

1,700 CAD
6,700 CAD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

250,000 CAD

170,000 CAD
500,000 CAD

1-bedroom
apartment

330,000 CAD

200,000 CAD
1,200,000 CAD

2-bedroom
apartment

1,000,000 CAD

330,000 CAD
2,000,000 CAD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,200 CAD

1,000 CAD
1,700 CAD

Double
Bed

1,000 CAD

670 CAD
1,200 CAD

Single
Bed

770 CAD

590 CAD
1,000 CAD

Living
Room

1,400 CAD

1,100 CAD
5,000 CAD

Dining
Table

670 CAD

500 CAD
1,200 CAD

Sofa
or Couch

910 CAD

670 CAD
2,000 CAD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,000 CAD

670 CAD
2,000 CAD

Fridge
or Freezer

910 CAD

590 CAD
1,200 CAD

Washing
Machine

1,100 CAD

770 CAD
2,000 CAD

Stove
or Cooker

910 CAD

710 CAD
1,200 CAD

Mobile
Phone

1,000 CAD

830 CAD
1,400 CAD

Laptop
or Computer

1,100 CAD

910 CAD
2,000 CAD

How do people spend their money in Canada?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Canada

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW720 CAD
AVERAGE2,900 CAD
HIGH6,100 CAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW120 CAD
AVERAGE480 CAD
HIGH1,000 CAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW160 CAD
AVERAGE640 CAD
HIGH1,400 CAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW320 CAD
AVERAGE1,300 CAD
HIGH2,700 CAD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW180 CAD
AVERAGE720 CAD
HIGH1,500 CAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW100 CAD
AVERAGE400 CAD
HIGH850 CAD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW40 CAD
AVERAGE160 CAD
HIGH340 CAD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW360 CAD
AVERAGE1,400 CAD
HIGH3,100 CAD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Canada

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW990 CAD
AVERAGE4,900 CAD
HIGH7,900 CAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW150 CAD
AVERAGE600 CAD
HIGH1,200 CAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW360 CAD
AVERAGE1,800 CAD
HIGH2,900 CAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW420 CAD
AVERAGE2,100 CAD
HIGH3,400 CAD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW330 CAD
AVERAGE1,600 CAD
HIGH2,600 CAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW180 CAD
AVERAGE900 CAD
HIGH1,400 CAD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW60 CAD
AVERAGE300 CAD
HIGH480 CAD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW510 CAD
AVERAGE2,500 CAD
HIGH4,100 CAD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Canada

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW2,200 CAD
AVERAGE7,700 CAD
HIGH12,000 CAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW210 CAD
AVERAGE960 CAD
HIGH1,100 CAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW560 CAD
AVERAGE1,900 CAD
HIGH2,900 CAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,300 CAD
AVERAGE4,300 CAD
HIGH6,500 CAD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW560 CAD
AVERAGE1,900 CAD
HIGH2,900 CAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW350 CAD
AVERAGE1,200 CAD
HIGH1,800 CAD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW980 CAD
AVERAGE3,400 CAD
HIGH5,000 CAD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW840 CAD
AVERAGE2,900 CAD
HIGH4,300 CAD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Canada

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW240 CAD
AVERAGE1,400 CAD
HIGH3,100 CAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW40 CAD
AVERAGE240 CAD
HIGH520 CAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW70 CAD
AVERAGE420 CAD
HIGH910 CAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW200 CAD
AVERAGE1,200 CAD
HIGH2,600 CAD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW60 CAD
AVERAGE360 CAD
HIGH780 CAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW50 CAD
AVERAGE300 CAD
HIGH650 CAD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW190 CAD
AVERAGE1,100 CAD
HIGH2,500 CAD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW150 CAD
AVERAGE900 CAD
HIGH1,900 CAD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Canada typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 4,200 CAD with expenditure ranging from 1,000 CAD and 7,200 CAD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Canada ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 570 CAD with 130 CAD and 950 CAD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 290 CAD to 2,000 CAD on commuting with 1,200 CAD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Canada is 2,200 CAD. The cost of groceries can range between 550 CAD to 3,800 CAD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Canada allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 280 CAD to 2,000 CAD with 1,200 CAD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 170 CAD to 1,200 CAD with 700 CAD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,200 CAD per month with 320 CAD being the minimum spent amount and 2,100 CAD being the maximum.

©copound