Cost Of Living in Egypt

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Egypt

Whether you're living in Egypt or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
7,400 EGP
average per month
1,800 EGP
Range
16,000 EGP

Couple
14,000 EGP
average per month
2,800 EGP
Range
22,000 EGP

Family
22,000 EGP
average per month
6,500 EGP
Range
33,000 EGP

Student
5,500 EGP
average per month
920 EGP
Range
12,000 EGP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Egypt is 7,400 EGP. Expenses can range from 1,800 EGP at the minimum level to 16,000 EGP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Egypt is 14,000 EGP. Expenditure can range from 2,800 EGP to 22,000 EGP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Egypt is 22,000 EGP per month. Families spend anywhere from 6,500 EGP to 33,000 EGP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Egypt is 5,500 EGP. Students spend from 920 EGP to 12,000 EGP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Egypt

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.9 EGP

1.9 EGP
1.9 EGP

Fast food
combo meal

18 EGP

13 EGP
31 EGP

Restaurant
meal for one

62 EGP

49 EGP
77 EGP

Fine dining
meal for one

150 EGP

100 EGP
180 EGP

Soda
Soft Drink

1.5 EGP

1.5 EGP
1.5 EGP

Cappuccino
or latte

12 EGP

7.7 EGP
18 EGP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

9.2 EGP

7.7 EGP
10 EGP

Loaf of
bread

1.3 EGP

1.2 EGP
1.5 EGP

12
eggs

9.2 EGP

7.7 EGP
12 EGP

Fresh whole
chicken

21 EGP

17 EGP
26 EGP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

24 EGP

21 EGP
31 EGP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

13 EGP

12 EGP
15 EGP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

6.2 EGP

5.1 EGP
7.7 EGP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

6.6 EGP

5.8 EGP
7.1 EGP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

6.4 EGP

5.6 EGP
7.1 EGP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

9.2 EGP

7.7 EGP
18 EGP

Average car
full tank

62 EGP

46 EGP
120 EGP

Average car
1-day rental

62 EGP

46 EGP
92 EGP

Average car
price

46,000 EGP

23,000 EGP
62,000 EGP

Bus ticket
one way

2.3 EGP

1.5 EGP
4.6 EGP

Car
Service

92 EGP

62 EGP
180 EGP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

440 EGP

110 EGP
940 EGP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

550 EGP

140 EGP
1,100 EGP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

890 EGP

190 EGP
1,000 EGP

Internet
and cable

92 EGP

46 EGP
120 EGP

Mobile phone
charges

62 EGP

37 EGP
180 EGP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

31 EGP

23 EGP
46 EGP

One month gym
membership

92 EGP

74 EGP
180 EGP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

77 EGP

54 EGP
120 EGP

Woman
dress

71 EGP

51 EGP
230 EGP

Woman
shoes

66 EGP

49 EGP
150 EGP

Men
shoes

51 EGP

42 EGP
100 EGP

Men
suit

58 EGP

46 EGP
310 EGP

Regular
t-shirt

31 EGP

23 EGP
92 EGP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,200 EGP

770 EGP
3,100 EGP

1-bedroom
apartment

1,800 EGP

1,200 EGP
4,600 EGP

2-bedroom
apartment

2,300 EGP

1,500 EGP
6,200 EGP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

230,000 EGP

150,000 EGP
460,000 EGP

1-bedroom
apartment

310,000 EGP

180,000 EGP
1,200,000 EGP

2-bedroom
apartment

920,000 EGP

310,000 EGP
1,800,000 EGP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,200 EGP

920 EGP
1,500 EGP

Double
Bed

920 EGP

620 EGP
1,200 EGP

Single
Bed

710 EGP

540 EGP
920 EGP

Living
Room

1,300 EGP

1,000 EGP
4,600 EGP

Dining
Table

620 EGP

460 EGP
1,200 EGP

Sofa
or Couch

840 EGP

620 EGP
1,800 EGP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

920 EGP

620 EGP
1,800 EGP

Fridge
or Freezer

840 EGP

540 EGP
1,200 EGP

Washing
Machine

1,000 EGP

710 EGP
1,800 EGP

Stove
or Cooker

840 EGP

660 EGP
1,200 EGP

Mobile
Phone

920 EGP

770 EGP
1,300 EGP

Laptop
or Computer

1,000 EGP

840 EGP
1,800 EGP

How do people spend their money in Egypt?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Egypt

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW660 EGP
AVERAGE2,700 EGP
HIGH5,700 EGP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW110 EGP
AVERAGE440 EGP
HIGH940 EGP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW150 EGP
AVERAGE590 EGP
HIGH1,300 EGP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW300 EGP
AVERAGE1,200 EGP
HIGH2,500 EGP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW170 EGP
AVERAGE660 EGP
HIGH1,400 EGP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW92 EGP
AVERAGE370 EGP
HIGH780 EGP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW37 EGP
AVERAGE150 EGP
HIGH310 EGP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW330 EGP
AVERAGE1,300 EGP
HIGH2,800 EGP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Egypt

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW910 EGP
AVERAGE4,600 EGP
HIGH7,300 EGP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW140 EGP
AVERAGE550 EGP
HIGH1,100 EGP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW330 EGP
AVERAGE1,700 EGP
HIGH2,700 EGP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW390 EGP
AVERAGE1,900 EGP
HIGH3,100 EGP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW300 EGP
AVERAGE1,500 EGP
HIGH2,400 EGP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW170 EGP
AVERAGE830 EGP
HIGH1,300 EGP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW55 EGP
AVERAGE280 EGP
HIGH440 EGP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW470 EGP
AVERAGE2,400 EGP
HIGH3,800 EGP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Egypt

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW2,100 EGP
AVERAGE7,100 EGP
HIGH11,000 EGP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW190 EGP
AVERAGE890 EGP
HIGH1,000 EGP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW520 EGP
AVERAGE1,800 EGP
HIGH2,700 EGP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,200 EGP
AVERAGE4,000 EGP
HIGH6,000 EGP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW520 EGP
AVERAGE1,800 EGP
HIGH2,700 EGP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW320 EGP
AVERAGE1,100 EGP
HIGH1,700 EGP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW900 EGP
AVERAGE3,100 EGP
HIGH4,700 EGP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW780 EGP
AVERAGE2,700 EGP
HIGH4,000 EGP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Egypt

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW220 EGP
AVERAGE1,300 EGP
HIGH2,900 EGP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW37 EGP
AVERAGE220 EGP
HIGH480 EGP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW65 EGP
AVERAGE390 EGP
HIGH840 EGP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW180 EGP
AVERAGE1,100 EGP
HIGH2,400 EGP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW55 EGP
AVERAGE330 EGP
HIGH720 EGP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW46 EGP
AVERAGE280 EGP
HIGH600 EGP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW180 EGP
AVERAGE1,100 EGP
HIGH2,300 EGP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW140 EGP
AVERAGE830 EGP
HIGH1,800 EGP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Egypt typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,900 EGP with expenditure ranging from 970 EGP and 6,600 EGP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Egypt ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 530 EGP with 120 EGP and 880 EGP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 270 EGP to 1,900 EGP on commuting with 1,100 EGP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Egypt is 2,100 EGP. The cost of groceries can range between 510 EGP to 3,500 EGP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Egypt allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 260 EGP to 1,800 EGP with 1,100 EGP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 160 EGP to 1,100 EGP with 650 EGP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,100 EGP per month with 290 EGP being the minimum spent amount and 1,900 EGP being the maximum.

©copound