Cost Of Living in India

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in India

Whether you're living in India or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
26,000 INR
average per month
6,400 INR
Range
54,000 INR

Couple
48,000 INR
average per month
9,600 INR
Range
77,000 INR

Family
77,000 INR
average per month
22,000 INR
Range
120,000 INR

Student
19,000 INR
average per month
3,200 INR
Range
42,000 INR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in India is 26,000 INR. Expenses can range from 6,400 INR at the minimum level to 54,000 INR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in India is 48,000 INR. Expenditure can range from 9,600 INR to 77,000 INR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in India is 77,000 INR per month. Families spend anywhere from 22,000 INR to 120,000 INR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in India is 19,000 INR. Students spend from 3,200 INR to 42,000 INR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in India

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

6.4 INR

6.4 INR
6.4 INR

Fast food
combo meal

64 INR

46 INR
110 INR

Restaurant
meal for one

210 INR

170 INR
270 INR

Fine dining
meal for one

530 INR

360 INR
640 INR

Soda
Soft Drink

5.3 INR

5.3 INR
5.3 INR

Cappuccino
or latte

43 INR

27 INR
64 INR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

32 INR

27 INR
36 INR

Loaf of
bread

4.6 INR

4.0 INR
5.3 INR

12
eggs

32 INR

27 INR
40 INR

Fresh whole
chicken

75 INR

58 INR
92 INR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

84 INR

71 INR
110 INR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

46 INR

40 INR
53 INR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

21 INR

18 INR
27 INR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

23 INR

20 INR
25 INR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

22 INR

19 INR
25 INR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

32 INR

27 INR
64 INR

Average car
full tank

210 INR

160 INR
430 INR

Average car
1-day rental

210 INR

160 INR
320 INR

Average car
price

160,000 INR

80,000 INR
210,000 INR

Bus ticket
one way

8.0 INR

5.3 INR
16 INR

Car
Service

320 INR

210 INR
640 INR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,500 INR

380 INR
3,300 INR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,900 INR

480 INR
3,800 INR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

3,100 INR

670 INR
3,500 INR

Internet
and cable

320 INR

160 INR
430 INR

Mobile phone
charges

210 INR

130 INR
640 INR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

110 INR

80 INR
160 INR

One month gym
membership

320 INR

260 INR
640 INR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

270 INR

190 INR
400 INR

Woman
dress

250 INR

180 INR
800 INR

Woman
shoes

230 INR

170 INR
530 INR

Men
shoes

180 INR

150 INR
360 INR

Men
suit

200 INR

160 INR
1,100 INR

Regular
t-shirt

110 INR

80 INR
320 INR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

4,000 INR

2,700 INR
11,000 INR

1-bedroom
apartment

6,400 INR

4,000 INR
16,000 INR

2-bedroom
apartment

8,000 INR

5,300 INR
21,000 INR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

800,000 INR

530,000 INR
1,600,000 INR

1-bedroom
apartment

1,100,000 INR

640,000 INR
4,000,000 INR

2-bedroom
apartment

3,200,000 INR

1,100,000 INR
6,400,000 INR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

4,000 INR

3,200 INR
5,300 INR

Double
Bed

3,200 INR

2,100 INR
4,000 INR

Single
Bed

2,500 INR

1,900 INR
3,200 INR

Living
Room

4,600 INR

3,600 INR
16,000 INR

Dining
Table

2,100 INR

1,600 INR
4,000 INR

Sofa
or Couch

2,900 INR

2,100 INR
6,400 INR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

3,200 INR

2,100 INR
6,400 INR

Fridge
or Freezer

2,900 INR

1,900 INR
4,000 INR

Washing
Machine

3,600 INR

2,500 INR
6,400 INR

Stove
or Cooker

2,900 INR

2,300 INR
4,000 INR

Mobile
Phone

3,200 INR

2,700 INR
4,600 INR

Laptop
or Computer

3,600 INR

2,900 INR
6,400 INR

How do people spend their money in India?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in India

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW2,300 INR
AVERAGE9,200 INR
HIGH20,000 INR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW380 INR
AVERAGE1,500 INR
HIGH3,300 INR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW510 INR
AVERAGE2,100 INR
HIGH4,400 INR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,000 INR
AVERAGE4,100 INR
HIGH8,700 INR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW580 INR
AVERAGE2,300 INR
HIGH4,900 INR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW320 INR
AVERAGE1,300 INR
HIGH2,700 INR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW130 INR
AVERAGE510 INR
HIGH1,100 INR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,200 INR
AVERAGE4,600 INR
HIGH9,800 INR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in India

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW3,200 INR
AVERAGE16,000 INR
HIGH25,000 INR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW480 INR
AVERAGE1,900 INR
HIGH3,800 INR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,200 INR
AVERAGE5,800 INR
HIGH9,200 INR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,300 INR
AVERAGE6,700 INR
HIGH11,000 INR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,100 INR
AVERAGE5,300 INR
HIGH8,500 INR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW580 INR
AVERAGE2,900 INR
HIGH4,600 INR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW190 INR
AVERAGE960 INR
HIGH1,500 INR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,600 INR
AVERAGE8,200 INR
HIGH13,000 INR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in India

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW7,200 INR
AVERAGE25,000 INR
HIGH37,000 INR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW670 INR
AVERAGE3,100 INR
HIGH3,500 INR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,800 INR
AVERAGE6,200 INR
HIGH9,200 INR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW4,000 INR
AVERAGE14,000 INR
HIGH21,000 INR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,800 INR
AVERAGE6,200 INR
HIGH9,200 INR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,100 INR
AVERAGE3,800 INR
HIGH5,800 INR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW3,100 INR
AVERAGE11,000 INR
HIGH16,000 INR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW2,700 INR
AVERAGE9,200 INR
HIGH14,000 INR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in India

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW770 INR
AVERAGE4,600 INR
HIGH10,000 INR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW130 INR
AVERAGE770 INR
HIGH1,700 INR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW220 INR
AVERAGE1,300 INR
HIGH2,900 INR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW640 INR
AVERAGE3,800 INR
HIGH8,300 INR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW190 INR
AVERAGE1,200 INR
HIGH2,500 INR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW160 INR
AVERAGE960 INR
HIGH2,100 INR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW610 INR
AVERAGE3,700 INR
HIGH7,900 INR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW480 INR
AVERAGE2,900 INR
HIGH6,200 INR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in India typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 14,000 INR with expenditure ranging from 3,400 INR and 23,000 INR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in India ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,800 INR with 420 INR and 3,100 INR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 920 INR to 6,400 INR on commuting with 3,800 INR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in India is 7,100 INR. The cost of groceries can range between 1,800 INR to 12,000 INR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in India allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 910 INR to 6,300 INR with 3,700 INR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 540 INR to 3,800 INR with 2,200 INR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 4,000 INR per month with 1,000 INR being the minimum spent amount and 6,700 INR being the maximum.

©copound