Cost Of Living in Japan

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Japan

Whether you're living in Japan or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
410,000 JPY
average per month
100,000 JPY
Range
880,000 JPY

Couple
770,000 JPY
average per month
150,000 JPY
Range
1,200,000 JPY

Family
1,200,000 JPY
average per month
360,000 JPY
Range
1,900,000 JPY

Student
310,000 JPY
average per month
52,000 JPY
Range
670,000 JPY
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Japan is 410,000 JPY. Expenses can range from 100,000 JPY at the minimum level to 880,000 JPY at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Japan is 770,000 JPY. Expenditure can range from 150,000 JPY to 1,200,000 JPY per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Japan is 1,200,000 JPY per month. Families spend anywhere from 360,000 JPY to 1,900,000 JPY.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Japan is 310,000 JPY. Students spend from 52,000 JPY to 670,000 JPY per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Japan

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

100 JPY

100 JPY
100 JPY

Fast food
combo meal

1,000 JPY

740 JPY
1,700 JPY

Restaurant
meal for one

3,400 JPY

2,700 JPY
4,300 JPY

Fine dining
meal for one

8,600 JPY

5,700 JPY
10,000 JPY

Soda
Soft Drink

86 JPY

86 JPY
86 JPY

Cappuccino
or latte

690 JPY

430 JPY
1,000 JPY

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

520 JPY

430 JPY
570 JPY

Loaf of
bread

74 JPY

65 JPY
86 JPY

12
eggs

520 JPY

430 JPY
650 JPY

Fresh whole
chicken

1,200 JPY

940 JPY
1,500 JPY

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

1,400 JPY

1,100 JPY
1,700 JPY

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

740 JPY

650 JPY
860 JPY

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

340 JPY

290 JPY
430 JPY

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

370 JPY

320 JPY
400 JPY

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

360 JPY

310 JPY
400 JPY

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

520 JPY

430 JPY
1,000 JPY

Average car
full tank

3,400 JPY

2,600 JPY
6,900 JPY

Average car
1-day rental

3,400 JPY

2,600 JPY
5,200 JPY

Average car
price

2,600,000 JPY

1,300,000 JPY
3,400,000 JPY

Bus ticket
one way

130 JPY

86 JPY
260 JPY

Car
Service

5,200 JPY

3,400 JPY
10,000 JPY

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

25,000 JPY

6,200 JPY
53,000 JPY

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

31,000 JPY

7,700 JPY
62,000 JPY

Electricity
and water bill
Family

50,000 JPY

11,000 JPY
56,000 JPY

Internet
and cable

5,200 JPY

2,600 JPY
6,900 JPY

Mobile phone
charges

3,400 JPY

2,100 JPY
10,000 JPY

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,700 JPY

1,300 JPY
2,600 JPY

One month gym
membership

5,200 JPY

4,100 JPY
10,000 JPY

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

4,300 JPY

3,000 JPY
6,500 JPY

Woman
dress

4,000 JPY

2,900 JPY
13,000 JPY

Woman
shoes

3,700 JPY

2,700 JPY
8,600 JPY

Men
shoes

2,900 JPY

2,300 JPY
5,700 JPY

Men
suit

3,200 JPY

2,600 JPY
17,000 JPY

Regular
t-shirt

1,700 JPY

1,300 JPY
5,200 JPY

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

65,000 JPY

43,000 JPY
170,000 JPY

1-bedroom
apartment

100,000 JPY

65,000 JPY
260,000 JPY

2-bedroom
apartment

130,000 JPY

86,000 JPY
340,000 JPY

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

13,000,000 JPY

8,600,000 JPY
26,000,000 JPY

1-bedroom
apartment

17,000,000 JPY

10,000,000 JPY
65,000,000 JPY

2-bedroom
apartment

52,000,000 JPY

17,000,000 JPY
100,000,000 JPY

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

65,000 JPY

52,000 JPY
86,000 JPY

Double
Bed

52,000 JPY

34,000 JPY
65,000 JPY

Single
Bed

40,000 JPY

30,000 JPY
52,000 JPY

Living
Room

74,000 JPY

57,000 JPY
260,000 JPY

Dining
Table

34,000 JPY

26,000 JPY
65,000 JPY

Sofa
or Couch

47,000 JPY

34,000 JPY
100,000 JPY

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

52,000 JPY

34,000 JPY
100,000 JPY

Fridge
or Freezer

47,000 JPY

30,000 JPY
65,000 JPY

Washing
Machine

57,000 JPY

40,000 JPY
100,000 JPY

Stove
or Cooker

47,000 JPY

37,000 JPY
65,000 JPY

Mobile
Phone

52,000 JPY

43,000 JPY
74,000 JPY

Laptop
or Computer

57,000 JPY

47,000 JPY
100,000 JPY

How do people spend their money in Japan?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Japan

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW37,000 JPY
AVERAGE150,000 JPY
HIGH320,000 JPY
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW6,200 JPY
AVERAGE25,000 JPY
HIGH53,000 JPY
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW8,300 JPY
AVERAGE33,000 JPY
HIGH70,000 JPY
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW17,000 JPY
AVERAGE66,000 JPY
HIGH140,000 JPY
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW9,300 JPY
AVERAGE37,000 JPY
HIGH79,000 JPY
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,200 JPY
AVERAGE21,000 JPY
HIGH44,000 JPY
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,100 JPY
AVERAGE8,300 JPY
HIGH18,000 JPY
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW19,000 JPY
AVERAGE74,000 JPY
HIGH160,000 JPY
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Japan

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW51,000 JPY
AVERAGE260,000 JPY
HIGH410,000 JPY
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW7,700 JPY
AVERAGE31,000 JPY
HIGH62,000 JPY
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW19,000 JPY
AVERAGE93,000 JPY
HIGH150,000 JPY
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW22,000 JPY
AVERAGE110,000 JPY
HIGH170,000 JPY
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW17,000 JPY
AVERAGE85,000 JPY
HIGH140,000 JPY
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW9,300 JPY
AVERAGE46,000 JPY
HIGH74,000 JPY
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW3,100 JPY
AVERAGE15,000 JPY
HIGH25,000 JPY
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW26,000 JPY
AVERAGE130,000 JPY
HIGH210,000 JPY
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Japan

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW120,000 JPY
AVERAGE400,000 JPY
HIGH590,000 JPY
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW11,000 JPY
AVERAGE50,000 JPY
HIGH56,000 JPY
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW29,000 JPY
AVERAGE99,000 JPY
HIGH150,000 JPY
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW65,000 JPY
AVERAGE220,000 JPY
HIGH330,000 JPY
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW29,000 JPY
AVERAGE99,000 JPY
HIGH150,000 JPY
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW18,000 JPY
AVERAGE62,000 JPY
HIGH93,000 JPY
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW51,000 JPY
AVERAGE170,000 JPY
HIGH260,000 JPY
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW43,000 JPY
AVERAGE150,000 JPY
HIGH220,000 JPY
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Japan

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW12,000 JPY
AVERAGE74,000 JPY
HIGH160,000 JPY
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW2,100 JPY
AVERAGE12,000 JPY
HIGH27,000 JPY
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW3,600 JPY
AVERAGE22,000 JPY
HIGH47,000 JPY
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW10,000 JPY
AVERAGE62,000 JPY
HIGH130,000 JPY
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW3,100 JPY
AVERAGE19,000 JPY
HIGH40,000 JPY
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,600 JPY
AVERAGE15,000 JPY
HIGH34,000 JPY
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW9,800 JPY
AVERAGE59,000 JPY
HIGH130,000 JPY
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW7,700 JPY
AVERAGE46,000 JPY
HIGH100,000 JPY
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Japan typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 220,000 JPY with expenditure ranging from 54,000 JPY and 370,000 JPY. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Japan ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 29,000 JPY with 6,700 JPY and 49,000 JPY being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 15,000 JPY to 100,000 JPY on commuting with 62,000 JPY being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Japan is 110,000 JPY. The cost of groceries can range between 28,000 JPY to 200,000 JPY. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Japan allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 15,000 JPY to 100,000 JPY with 60,000 JPY being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 8,800 JPY to 61,000 JPY with 36,000 JPY being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 64,000 JPY per month with 16,000 JPY being the minimum spent amount and 110,000 JPY being the maximum.

©copound