Cost Of Living in Turkey

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Turkey

Whether you're living in Turkey or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
6,300 TRY
average per month
1,600 TRY
Range
13,000 TRY

Couple
12,000 TRY
average per month
2,400 TRY
Range
19,000 TRY

Family
19,000 TRY
average per month
5,500 TRY
Range
28,000 TRY

Student
4,700 TRY
average per month
790 TRY
Range
10,000 TRY
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Turkey is 6,300 TRY. Expenses can range from 1,600 TRY at the minimum level to 13,000 TRY at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Turkey is 12,000 TRY. Expenditure can range from 2,400 TRY to 19,000 TRY per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Turkey is 19,000 TRY per month. Families spend anywhere from 5,500 TRY to 28,000 TRY.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Turkey is 4,700 TRY. Students spend from 790 TRY to 10,000 TRY per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Turkey

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.6 TRY

1.6 TRY
1.6 TRY

Fast food
combo meal

16 TRY

11 TRY
26 TRY

Restaurant
meal for one

52 TRY

41 TRY
65 TRY

Fine dining
meal for one

130 TRY

87 TRY
160 TRY

Soda
Soft Drink

1.3 TRY

1.3 TRY
1.3 TRY

Cappuccino
or latte

10 TRY

6.6 TRY
16 TRY

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

7.9 TRY

6.6 TRY
8.7 TRY

Loaf of
bread

1.1 TRY

0.98 TRY
1.3 TRY

12
eggs

7.9 TRY

6.6 TRY
9.8 TRY

Fresh whole
chicken

18 TRY

14 TRY
22 TRY

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

21 TRY

17 TRY
26 TRY

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

11 TRY

9.8 TRY
13 TRY

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

5.2 TRY

4.4 TRY
6.6 TRY

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

5.6 TRY

4.9 TRY
6.1 TRY

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

5.4 TRY

4.8 TRY
6.1 TRY

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

7.9 TRY

6.6 TRY
16 TRY

Average car
full tank

52 TRY

39 TRY
100 TRY

Average car
1-day rental

52 TRY

39 TRY
79 TRY

Average car
price

39,000 TRY

20,000 TRY
52,000 TRY

Bus ticket
one way

2.0 TRY

1.3 TRY
3.9 TRY

Car
Service

79 TRY

52 TRY
160 TRY

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

380 TRY

94 TRY
800 TRY

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

470 TRY

120 TRY
940 TRY

Electricity
and water bill
Family

750 TRY

170 TRY
850 TRY

Internet
and cable

79 TRY

39 TRY
100 TRY

Mobile phone
charges

52 TRY

31 TRY
160 TRY

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

26 TRY

20 TRY
39 TRY

One month gym
membership

79 TRY

63 TRY
160 TRY

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

65 TRY

46 TRY
98 TRY

Woman
dress

60 TRY

44 TRY
200 TRY

Woman
shoes

56 TRY

41 TRY
130 TRY

Men
shoes

44 TRY

36 TRY
87 TRY

Men
suit

49 TRY

39 TRY
260 TRY

Regular
t-shirt

26 TRY

20 TRY
79 TRY

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

980 TRY

650 TRY
2,600 TRY

1-bedroom
apartment

1,600 TRY

980 TRY
3,900 TRY

2-bedroom
apartment

2,000 TRY

1,300 TRY
5,200 TRY

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

200,000 TRY

130,000 TRY
390,000 TRY

1-bedroom
apartment

260,000 TRY

160,000 TRY
980,000 TRY

2-bedroom
apartment

790,000 TRY

260,000 TRY
1,600,000 TRY

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

980 TRY

790 TRY
1,300 TRY

Double
Bed

790 TRY

520 TRY
980 TRY

Single
Bed

600 TRY

460 TRY
790 TRY

Living
Room

1,100 TRY

870 TRY
3,900 TRY

Dining
Table

520 TRY

390 TRY
980 TRY

Sofa
or Couch

710 TRY

520 TRY
1,600 TRY

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

790 TRY

520 TRY
1,600 TRY

Fridge
or Freezer

710 TRY

460 TRY
980 TRY

Washing
Machine

870 TRY

600 TRY
1,600 TRY

Stove
or Cooker

710 TRY

560 TRY
980 TRY

Mobile
Phone

790 TRY

650 TRY
1,100 TRY

Laptop
or Computer

870 TRY

710 TRY
1,600 TRY

How do people spend their money in Turkey?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Turkey

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW570 TRY
AVERAGE2,300 TRY
HIGH4,800 TRY
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW94 TRY
AVERAGE380 TRY
HIGH800 TRY
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW130 TRY
AVERAGE500 TRY
HIGH1,100 TRY
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW250 TRY
AVERAGE1,000 TRY
HIGH2,100 TRY
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW140 TRY
AVERAGE570 TRY
HIGH1,200 TRY
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW79 TRY
AVERAGE310 TRY
HIGH670 TRY
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW31 TRY
AVERAGE130 TRY
HIGH270 TRY
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW280 TRY
AVERAGE1,100 TRY
HIGH2,400 TRY
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Turkey

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW780 TRY
AVERAGE3,900 TRY
HIGH6,200 TRY
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW120 TRY
AVERAGE470 TRY
HIGH940 TRY
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW280 TRY
AVERAGE1,400 TRY
HIGH2,300 TRY
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW330 TRY
AVERAGE1,700 TRY
HIGH2,600 TRY
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW260 TRY
AVERAGE1,300 TRY
HIGH2,100 TRY
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW140 TRY
AVERAGE710 TRY
HIGH1,100 TRY
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW47 TRY
AVERAGE240 TRY
HIGH380 TRY
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW400 TRY
AVERAGE2,000 TRY
HIGH3,200 TRY
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Turkey

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,800 TRY
AVERAGE6,000 TRY
HIGH9,100 TRY
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW170 TRY
AVERAGE750 TRY
HIGH850 TRY
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW440 TRY
AVERAGE1,500 TRY
HIGH2,300 TRY
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW990 TRY
AVERAGE3,400 TRY
HIGH5,100 TRY
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW440 TRY
AVERAGE1,500 TRY
HIGH2,300 TRY
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW280 TRY
AVERAGE940 TRY
HIGH1,400 TRY
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW770 TRY
AVERAGE2,600 TRY
HIGH4,000 TRY
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW660 TRY
AVERAGE2,300 TRY
HIGH3,400 TRY
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Turkey

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW190 TRY
AVERAGE1,100 TRY
HIGH2,500 TRY
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW31 TRY
AVERAGE190 TRY
HIGH410 TRY
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW55 TRY
AVERAGE330 TRY
HIGH720 TRY
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW160 TRY
AVERAGE940 TRY
HIGH2,000 TRY
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW47 TRY
AVERAGE280 TRY
HIGH610 TRY
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW39 TRY
AVERAGE240 TRY
HIGH510 TRY
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW150 TRY
AVERAGE900 TRY
HIGH1,900 TRY
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW120 TRY
AVERAGE710 TRY
HIGH1,500 TRY
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Turkey typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,300 TRY with expenditure ranging from 820 TRY and 5,600 TRY. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Turkey ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 450 TRY with 100 TRY and 750 TRY being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 230 TRY to 1,600 TRY on commuting with 940 TRY being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Turkey is 1,700 TRY. The cost of groceries can range between 430 TRY to 3,000 TRY. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Turkey allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 220 TRY to 1,500 TRY with 910 TRY being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 130 TRY to 930 TRY with 550 TRY being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 970 TRY per month with 250 TRY being the minimum spent amount and 1,600 TRY being the maximum.

©copound