Cost Of Living in United Kingdom

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in United Kingdom

Whether you're living in United Kingdom or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
4,700 GBP
average per month
1,200 GBP
Range
10,000 GBP

Couple
8,900 GBP
average per month
1,800 GBP
Range
14,000 GBP

Family
14,000 GBP
average per month
4,200 GBP
Range
21,000 GBP

Student
3,600 GBP
average per month
590 GBP
Range
7,700 GBP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in United Kingdom is 4,700 GBP. Expenses can range from 1,200 GBP at the minimum level to 10,000 GBP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in United Kingdom is 8,900 GBP. Expenditure can range from 1,800 GBP to 14,000 GBP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in United Kingdom is 14,000 GBP per month. Families spend anywhere from 4,200 GBP to 21,000 GBP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in United Kingdom is 3,600 GBP. Students spend from 590 GBP to 7,700 GBP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in United Kingdom

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.2 GBP

1.2 GBP
1.2 GBP

Fast food
combo meal

12 GBP

8.5 GBP
20 GBP

Restaurant
meal for one

40 GBP

31 GBP
49 GBP

Fine dining
meal for one

99 GBP

66 GBP
120 GBP

Soda
Soft Drink

0.99 GBP

0.99 GBP
0.99 GBP

Cappuccino
or latte

7.9 GBP

5.0 GBP
12 GBP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

5.9 GBP

5.0 GBP
6.6 GBP

Loaf of
bread

0.85 GBP

0.74 GBP
0.99 GBP

12
eggs

5.9 GBP

5.0 GBP
7.4 GBP

Fresh whole
chicken

14 GBP

11 GBP
17 GBP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

16 GBP

13 GBP
20 GBP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

8.5 GBP

7.4 GBP
9.9 GBP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

4.0 GBP

3.3 GBP
5.0 GBP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

4.2 GBP

3.7 GBP
4.6 GBP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

4.1 GBP

3.6 GBP
4.6 GBP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

5.9 GBP

5.0 GBP
12 GBP

Average car
full tank

40 GBP

30 GBP
79 GBP

Average car
1-day rental

40 GBP

30 GBP
59 GBP

Average car
price

30,000 GBP

15,000 GBP
40,000 GBP

Bus ticket
one way

1.5 GBP

0.99 GBP
3.0 GBP

Car
Service

59 GBP

40 GBP
120 GBP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

280 GBP

71 GBP
610 GBP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

360 GBP

89 GBP
710 GBP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

570 GBP

120 GBP
640 GBP

Internet
and cable

59 GBP

30 GBP
79 GBP

Mobile phone
charges

40 GBP

24 GBP
120 GBP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

20 GBP

15 GBP
30 GBP

One month gym
membership

59 GBP

48 GBP
120 GBP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

49 GBP

35 GBP
74 GBP

Woman
dress

46 GBP

33 GBP
150 GBP

Woman
shoes

42 GBP

31 GBP
99 GBP

Men
shoes

33 GBP

27 GBP
66 GBP

Men
suit

37 GBP

30 GBP
200 GBP

Regular
t-shirt

20 GBP

15 GBP
59 GBP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

740 GBP

490 GBP
2,000 GBP

1-bedroom
apartment

1,200 GBP

740 GBP
3,000 GBP

2-bedroom
apartment

1,500 GBP

990 GBP
4,000 GBP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

150,000 GBP

99,000 GBP
300,000 GBP

1-bedroom
apartment

200,000 GBP

120,000 GBP
740,000 GBP

2-bedroom
apartment

590,000 GBP

200,000 GBP
1,200,000 GBP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

740 GBP

590 GBP
990 GBP

Double
Bed

590 GBP

400 GBP
740 GBP

Single
Bed

460 GBP

350 GBP
590 GBP

Living
Room

850 GBP

660 GBP
3,000 GBP

Dining
Table

400 GBP

300 GBP
740 GBP

Sofa
or Couch

540 GBP

400 GBP
1,200 GBP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

590 GBP

400 GBP
1,200 GBP

Fridge
or Freezer

540 GBP

350 GBP
740 GBP

Washing
Machine

660 GBP

460 GBP
1,200 GBP

Stove
or Cooker

540 GBP

420 GBP
740 GBP

Mobile
Phone

590 GBP

490 GBP
850 GBP

Laptop
or Computer

660 GBP

540 GBP
1,200 GBP

How do people spend their money in United Kingdom?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in United Kingdom

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW430 GBP
AVERAGE1,700 GBP
HIGH3,600 GBP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW71 GBP
AVERAGE280 GBP
HIGH610 GBP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW95 GBP
AVERAGE380 GBP
HIGH810 GBP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW190 GBP
AVERAGE760 GBP
HIGH1,600 GBP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW110 GBP
AVERAGE430 GBP
HIGH910 GBP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW59 GBP
AVERAGE240 GBP
HIGH500 GBP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW24 GBP
AVERAGE95 GBP
HIGH200 GBP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW210 GBP
AVERAGE850 GBP
HIGH1,800 GBP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in United Kingdom

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW590 GBP
AVERAGE2,900 GBP
HIGH4,700 GBP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW89 GBP
AVERAGE360 GBP
HIGH710 GBP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW210 GBP
AVERAGE1,100 GBP
HIGH1,700 GBP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW250 GBP
AVERAGE1,200 GBP
HIGH2,000 GBP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW200 GBP
AVERAGE980 GBP
HIGH1,600 GBP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW110 GBP
AVERAGE530 GBP
HIGH850 GBP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW36 GBP
AVERAGE180 GBP
HIGH280 GBP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW300 GBP
AVERAGE1,500 GBP
HIGH2,400 GBP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in United Kingdom

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,300 GBP
AVERAGE4,600 GBP
HIGH6,800 GBP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW120 GBP
AVERAGE570 GBP
HIGH640 GBP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW330 GBP
AVERAGE1,100 GBP
HIGH1,700 GBP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW750 GBP
AVERAGE2,600 GBP
HIGH3,800 GBP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW330 GBP
AVERAGE1,100 GBP
HIGH1,700 GBP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW210 GBP
AVERAGE710 GBP
HIGH1,100 GBP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW580 GBP
AVERAGE2,000 GBP
HIGH3,000 GBP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW500 GBP
AVERAGE1,700 GBP
HIGH2,600 GBP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in United Kingdom

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW140 GBP
AVERAGE850 GBP
HIGH1,900 GBP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW24 GBP
AVERAGE140 GBP
HIGH310 GBP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW42 GBP
AVERAGE250 GBP
HIGH540 GBP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW120 GBP
AVERAGE710 GBP
HIGH1,500 GBP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW36 GBP
AVERAGE210 GBP
HIGH460 GBP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW30 GBP
AVERAGE180 GBP
HIGH390 GBP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW110 GBP
AVERAGE680 GBP
HIGH1,500 GBP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW89 GBP
AVERAGE530 GBP
HIGH1,200 GBP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in United Kingdom typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,500 GBP with expenditure ranging from 620 GBP and 4,300 GBP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in United Kingdom ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 340 GBP with 77 GBP and 570 GBP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 170 GBP to 1,200 GBP on commuting with 710 GBP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in United Kingdom is 1,300 GBP. The cost of groceries can range between 330 GBP to 2,300 GBP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in United Kingdom allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 170 GBP to 1,200 GBP with 690 GBP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 100 GBP to 700 GBP with 420 GBP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 740 GBP per month with 190 GBP being the minimum spent amount and 1,200 GBP being the maximum.

©copound