Cost Of Living in United States

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in United States

Whether you're living in United States or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
6,300 USD
average per month
1,600 USD
Range
13,000 USD

Couple
12,000 USD
average per month
2,400 USD
Range
19,000 USD

Family
19,000 USD
average per month
5,500 USD
Range
29,000 USD

Student
4,800 USD
average per month
790 USD
Range
10,000 USD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in United States is 6,300 USD. Expenses can range from 1,600 USD at the minimum level to 13,000 USD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in United States is 12,000 USD. Expenditure can range from 2,400 USD to 19,000 USD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in United States is 19,000 USD per month. Families spend anywhere from 5,500 USD to 29,000 USD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in United States is 4,800 USD. Students spend from 790 USD to 10,000 USD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in United States

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.6 USD

1.6 USD
1.6 USD

Fast food
combo meal

16 USD

11 USD
26 USD

Restaurant
meal for one

53 USD

42 USD
66 USD

Fine dining
meal for one

130 USD

88 USD
160 USD

Soda
Soft Drink

1.3 USD

1.3 USD
1.3 USD

Cappuccino
or latte

11 USD

6.6 USD
16 USD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

7.9 USD

6.6 USD
8.8 USD

Loaf of
bread

1.1 USD

0.99 USD
1.3 USD

12
eggs

7.9 USD

6.6 USD
9.9 USD

Fresh whole
chicken

18 USD

14 USD
23 USD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

21 USD

18 USD
26 USD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

11 USD

9.9 USD
13 USD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

5.3 USD

4.4 USD
6.6 USD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

5.7 USD

5.0 USD
6.1 USD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

5.5 USD

4.8 USD
6.1 USD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

7.9 USD

6.6 USD
16 USD

Average car
full tank

53 USD

40 USD
110 USD

Average car
1-day rental

53 USD

40 USD
79 USD

Average car
price

40,000 USD

20,000 USD
53,000 USD

Bus ticket
one way

2.0 USD

1.3 USD
4.0 USD

Car
Service

79 USD

53 USD
160 USD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

380 USD

95 USD
810 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

480 USD

120 USD
950 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

760 USD

170 USD
860 USD

Internet
and cable

79 USD

40 USD
110 USD

Mobile phone
charges

53 USD

32 USD
160 USD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

26 USD

20 USD
40 USD

One month gym
membership

79 USD

63 USD
160 USD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

66 USD

47 USD
99 USD

Woman
dress

61 USD

44 USD
200 USD

Woman
shoes

57 USD

42 USD
130 USD

Men
shoes

44 USD

36 USD
88 USD

Men
suit

50 USD

40 USD
260 USD

Regular
t-shirt

26 USD

20 USD
79 USD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

990 USD

660 USD
2,600 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

1,600 USD

990 USD
4,000 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

2,000 USD

1,300 USD
5,300 USD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

200,000 USD

130,000 USD
400,000 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

260,000 USD

160,000 USD
990,000 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

790,000 USD

260,000 USD
1,600,000 USD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

990 USD

790 USD
1,300 USD

Double
Bed

790 USD

530 USD
990 USD

Single
Bed

610 USD

470 USD
790 USD

Living
Room

1,100 USD

880 USD
4,000 USD

Dining
Table

530 USD

400 USD
990 USD

Sofa
or Couch

720 USD

530 USD
1,600 USD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

790 USD

530 USD
1,600 USD

Fridge
or Freezer

720 USD

470 USD
990 USD

Washing
Machine

880 USD

610 USD
1,600 USD

Stove
or Cooker

720 USD

570 USD
990 USD

Mobile
Phone

790 USD

660 USD
1,100 USD

Laptop
or Computer

880 USD

720 USD
1,600 USD

How do people spend their money in United States?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in United States

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW570 USD
AVERAGE2,300 USD
HIGH4,800 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW95 USD
AVERAGE380 USD
HIGH810 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW130 USD
AVERAGE510 USD
HIGH1,100 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW250 USD
AVERAGE1,000 USD
HIGH2,200 USD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW140 USD
AVERAGE570 USD
HIGH1,200 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW79 USD
AVERAGE320 USD
HIGH670 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW32 USD
AVERAGE130 USD
HIGH270 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW290 USD
AVERAGE1,100 USD
HIGH2,400 USD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in United States

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW780 USD
AVERAGE3,900 USD
HIGH6,300 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW120 USD
AVERAGE480 USD
HIGH950 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW290 USD
AVERAGE1,400 USD
HIGH2,300 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW330 USD
AVERAGE1,700 USD
HIGH2,700 USD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW260 USD
AVERAGE1,300 USD
HIGH2,100 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW140 USD
AVERAGE710 USD
HIGH1,100 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW48 USD
AVERAGE240 USD
HIGH380 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW400 USD
AVERAGE2,000 USD
HIGH3,200 USD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in United States

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,800 USD
AVERAGE6,100 USD
HIGH9,100 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW170 USD
AVERAGE760 USD
HIGH860 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW440 USD
AVERAGE1,500 USD
HIGH2,300 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,000 USD
AVERAGE3,400 USD
HIGH5,100 USD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW440 USD
AVERAGE1,500 USD
HIGH2,300 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW280 USD
AVERAGE950 USD
HIGH1,400 USD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW780 USD
AVERAGE2,700 USD
HIGH4,000 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW670 USD
AVERAGE2,300 USD
HIGH3,400 USD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in United States

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW190 USD
AVERAGE1,100 USD
HIGH2,500 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW32 USD
AVERAGE190 USD
HIGH410 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW55 USD
AVERAGE330 USD
HIGH720 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW160 USD
AVERAGE950 USD
HIGH2,100 USD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW48 USD
AVERAGE290 USD
HIGH620 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW40 USD
AVERAGE240 USD
HIGH520 USD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW150 USD
AVERAGE900 USD
HIGH2,000 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW120 USD
AVERAGE710 USD
HIGH1,500 USD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in United States typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,400 USD with expenditure ranging from 830 USD and 5,700 USD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in United States ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 450 USD with 100 USD and 760 USD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 230 USD to 1,600 USD on commuting with 950 USD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in United States is 1,800 USD. The cost of groceries can range between 440 USD to 3,000 USD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in United States allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 220 USD to 1,600 USD with 920 USD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 130 USD to 940 USD with 550 USD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 980 USD per month with 250 USD being the minimum spent amount and 1,700 USD being the maximum.

©copound