Cost Of Living in Germany

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Germany

Whether you're living in Germany or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,100 EUR
average per month
770 EUR
Range
6,500 EUR

Couple
5,700 EUR
average per month
1,100 EUR
Range
9,200 EUR

Family
9,200 EUR
average per month
2,700 EUR
Range
14,000 EUR

Student
2,300 EUR
average per month
380 EUR
Range
5,000 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Germany is 3,100 EUR. Expenses can range from 770 EUR at the minimum level to 6,500 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Germany is 5,700 EUR. Expenditure can range from 1,100 EUR to 9,200 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Germany is 9,200 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,700 EUR to 14,000 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Germany is 2,300 EUR. Students spend from 380 EUR to 5,000 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Germany

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.77 EUR

0.77 EUR
0.77 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

7.7 EUR

5.5 EUR
13 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

26 EUR

20 EUR
32 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

64 EUR

43 EUR
77 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.64 EUR

0.64 EUR
0.64 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

5.1 EUR

3.2 EUR
7.7 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.8 EUR

3.2 EUR
4.3 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.55 EUR

0.48 EUR
0.64 EUR

12
eggs

3.8 EUR

3.2 EUR
4.8 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

8.9 EUR

7.0 EUR
11 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

10 EUR

8.5 EUR
13 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

5.5 EUR

4.8 EUR
6.4 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.6 EUR

2.1 EUR
3.2 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.7 EUR

2.4 EUR
2.9 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.6 EUR

2.3 EUR
2.9 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.8 EUR

3.2 EUR
7.7 EUR

Average car
full tank

26 EUR

19 EUR
51 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

26 EUR

19 EUR
38 EUR

Average car
price

19,000 EUR

9,600 EUR
26,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

0.96 EUR

0.64 EUR
1.9 EUR

Car
Service

38 EUR

26 EUR
77 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

180 EUR

46 EUR
390 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

230 EUR

57 EUR
460 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

370 EUR

80 EUR
410 EUR

Internet
and cable

38 EUR

19 EUR
51 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

26 EUR

15 EUR
77 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

13 EUR

9.6 EUR
19 EUR

One month gym
membership

38 EUR

31 EUR
77 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

32 EUR

23 EUR
48 EUR

Woman
dress

29 EUR

21 EUR
96 EUR

Woman
shoes

27 EUR

20 EUR
64 EUR

Men
shoes

21 EUR

17 EUR
43 EUR

Men
suit

24 EUR

19 EUR
130 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

13 EUR

9.6 EUR
38 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

480 EUR

320 EUR
1,300 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

770 EUR

480 EUR
1,900 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

960 EUR

640 EUR
2,600 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

96,000 EUR

64,000 EUR
190,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

130,000 EUR

77,000 EUR
480,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

380,000 EUR

130,000 EUR
770,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

480 EUR

380 EUR
640 EUR

Double
Bed

380 EUR

260 EUR
480 EUR

Single
Bed

290 EUR

230 EUR
380 EUR

Living
Room

550 EUR

430 EUR
1,900 EUR

Dining
Table

260 EUR

190 EUR
480 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

350 EUR

260 EUR
770 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

380 EUR

260 EUR
770 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

350 EUR

230 EUR
480 EUR

Washing
Machine

430 EUR

290 EUR
770 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

350 EUR

270 EUR
480 EUR

Mobile
Phone

380 EUR

320 EUR
550 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

430 EUR

350 EUR
770 EUR

How do people spend their money in Germany?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Germany

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW280 EUR
AVERAGE1,100 EUR
HIGH2,300 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW46 EUR
AVERAGE180 EUR
HIGH390 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW61 EUR
AVERAGE240 EUR
HIGH520 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE490 EUR
HIGH1,000 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW69 EUR
AVERAGE280 EUR
HIGH590 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW38 EUR
AVERAGE150 EUR
HIGH330 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW15 EUR
AVERAGE61 EUR
HIGH130 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW140 EUR
AVERAGE550 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Germany

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW380 EUR
AVERAGE1,900 EUR
HIGH3,000 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW57 EUR
AVERAGE230 EUR
HIGH460 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW140 EUR
AVERAGE690 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW160 EUR
AVERAGE800 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW130 EUR
AVERAGE630 EUR
HIGH1,000 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW69 EUR
AVERAGE340 EUR
HIGH550 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW23 EUR
AVERAGE110 EUR
HIGH180 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW200 EUR
AVERAGE980 EUR
HIGH1,600 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Germany

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW860 EUR
AVERAGE2,900 EUR
HIGH4,400 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW80 EUR
AVERAGE370 EUR
HIGH410 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW210 EUR
AVERAGE730 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW480 EUR
AVERAGE1,700 EUR
HIGH2,500 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW210 EUR
AVERAGE730 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW130 EUR
AVERAGE460 EUR
HIGH690 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW370 EUR
AVERAGE1,300 EUR
HIGH1,900 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW320 EUR
AVERAGE1,100 EUR
HIGH1,700 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Germany

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW92 EUR
AVERAGE550 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW15 EUR
AVERAGE92 EUR
HIGH200 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW27 EUR
AVERAGE160 EUR
HIGH350 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW77 EUR
AVERAGE460 EUR
HIGH990 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW23 EUR
AVERAGE140 EUR
HIGH300 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW19 EUR
AVERAGE110 EUR
HIGH250 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW73 EUR
AVERAGE440 EUR
HIGH940 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW57 EUR
AVERAGE340 EUR
HIGH750 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Germany typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,600 EUR with expenditure ranging from 400 EUR and 2,700 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Germany ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 220 EUR with 50 EUR and 370 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 110 EUR to 770 EUR on commuting with 460 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Germany is 850 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 210 EUR to 1,400 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Germany allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 110 EUR to 750 EUR with 440 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 65 EUR to 450 EUR with 270 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 470 EUR per month with 120 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 800 EUR being the maximum.

©copound